General Fiction posted May 30, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Writer succumbs to despair.

Depression 101

by zeezeewriter


I keep writing the same paragraph over and over and over and nothing works, so I start over again.

The next day I begin again. And it is maddening, it makes me crazy, and I want to quit but I can't. I have to keep trying because what else is there to do?

Apparently this is the life of a writer. So, no big pity party for me. It is the curse. Or gift. Or blessing. Or curse. Yet to be determined.

And then comes the doubt. "Will I ever write again? Is this the end?"

And of course the answer is simple. If it is the end...then it will be the end.

And then I think back on artists that had one-hit-wonders. There are many. And I wonder what happened to them next? Did they despair?

Are they living in a duplex somewhere collecting coins or stamps or beating their dog for crapping on their cheap linoleum floor?

Do they get up every morning and write the same paragraph/lyric over and over again?

Or maybe they took up macrame, or water color painting, or origami. Or horticulture or body piercing.

And I'm not even a one-hit-wonder. I'm a no-hit-nobody.




Bad day in Black Rock USA
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. zeezeewriter All rights reserved.
zeezeewriter has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.