Essay Non-Fiction posted March 16, 2022


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
I write just because it's fun

Just Because

by prettybluebirds

Why I Write Contest Winner 

Why do I write? That's a good question, and I guess my answer is, I don't know. I have never desired to become the next Stephen King, V.C. Andrews, James Patterson, or even Dr. Seuss. And poetry? There are so many different styles I wouldn't know where to begin. If I have an answer at all, it will be that I enjoy writing and do it for fun or, you might say, a hobby.

When my husband became ill, I had a lot of time on my hands as I stayed in the house to care for him. One day, I was messing around on the computer and came across the FanStory site. I thought it looked fun, and I always liked to tell stories. Not write them, tell them. How much harder could it be to write them, I thought. That was in 2015.

So, at the ripe old age of seventy, I decided to write a few stories. In the beginning, the stories sounded pretty good, but the grammar was worse than terrible. I had forgotten all the rules of grammar, so my first writings were atrocious. I must go back and edit them someday, is what I have been telling myself for the last two or three years. Who knows, I might do it eventually.

I recently found the courage to write about my decision to commit suicide shortly after my son's death and how I felt a divine intervention stopped me from doing so. The primary benefit I received from writing it was telling my story and the tragic story of the accident that took my sixteen-year-old son from me. After all these years, I still find it hard to talk about the incident without breaking down in tears, but I found I could write about it. And I realized that writing the stories made me feel much better.

I have met some lovely people on this site, and most feel like good friends. I enjoy reading the stories and poems on FanStory and making comments on what I read. I also enjoy having others read my work and tell me what they think about it, good or bad. The comments from reviewers are often constructive, and I must give them credit for correcting my poor grammar. FanStory is simply a fun place to be.

So why do I write? What inspires me to pick up a pen? I'm still not sure I have a definite answer. Maybe I have become addicted to it, like coffee or cats. Who knows?




Writing Prompt
Write a short essay explaining why you write. Up to 500 words
Poems welcome too

Why I Write
Contest Winner

Recognized

#40
March
2022
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by VMarguarite at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. prettybluebirds All rights reserved.
prettybluebirds has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.