Humor Poetry posted January 27, 2022


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Our Historical home in a small New England town.

147 South Street

by Maureen Sky


A sign reads 1857 over the wide front door.

Another dry white paint chip falls faintly to the rough ground floor.

Historical Society rules indicate it will never get painted anything other than white.

On those rare occasions when electricity goes out, you really need a flashlight to guide you through the night.

Nine rooms showcasing antiques and some with their original wide hardwood floors.

Set in a small New England town, nearby tracks and a train passes with people on board.

Little country mice scamper in the cellar at night, taking their unforeseen last bite of the snack
set in the trap.

The senior owners can be found in the living room daily around 4P.M.; taking their usual naps.

Suzie Squeak is alive and well and evident in the door hinge.

A large wooden bowl filled with fresh fruit sits atop the dark blue granite counter top ready for
that midnight binge.

Kitchen cabinets boasting tall white doors housing vintage dishes -
leaving much to be desired of the owners' renovating ideas and wishes.

Old toilets that flush and continue to run -
playing with the flush handle one to many times - truly is no fun!

To live here fully, one must know humor and allow themselves to laugh - as over the years, we
have witnessed the sights of mice, small lizards, flying squirrels, and bats.

If walls could talk, this old house has many unique stories to tell -
some good, some bad, and some encouraging you to want to sit a spell.

Old bay window in the dining room with shelves that hold healthy vibrant plants.

Cold drafts from the cracked window panes sometimes leave you feeling cold and damp.

With a vintage commode, brass bed, oak buffet, and one roll top desk,
overall, it's a great home to live in and a cozy place to rest your head.

Showcasing chenille bedspreads, vintage lace, and antique artwork for the eyes to adore,
we feel blessed and truly hope we get to live here forever more!










House Poem writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a poem about your house/apartment.
Any style or length.
Describe your house/apartment/dwelling to us.
No picture, just words.
Let us envision where you live through your words.


We love our home here in New England.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by avmurray at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Maureen Sky All rights reserved.
Maureen Sky has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.