General Fiction posted December 14, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Instant aging: thirty years older in a FLASH

Double Take

by Elizabeth Emerald

My friend Christopher, a police officer, just got promoted to lieutenant. Chuck and I attended the pinning ceremony this afternoon, after which we went to dinner with Christopher's family.

Christopher's father, Ed, is a retired police officer; his tenure and Christopher's had overlapped by a couple of years. Ed passed around a photograph of the two of them that had been taken at Christopher's induction ceremony.

Notwithstanding the thirty-year age difference, they bore a strong resemblance. Ed and Christopher chuckled in remembrance of an incident that had occurred when Christopher was on traffic detail.

Christopher was stationed with a rookie cop, Tom. Christopher mentioned having a minor headache. While Tom was on lunch break, Ed dropped by the detail site and offered to relieve Christopher.

When Tom returned, Ed, whom he'd never met, was on duty in Christopher's stead. Tom said: "You better go home, Christopher; you look absolutely dreadful."

 



Recognized

#32
December
2021


usa police car by Hagan W. on FanArtReview.com THANK YOU!


FLASHing solo, no contest, at 150 words.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Elizabeth Emerald All rights reserved.
Elizabeth Emerald has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.