General Non-Fiction posted September 26, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Overworked waitress deserves a pass

No Stinting on Tipping

by Elizabeth Emerald



This evening, I took my friend Chuck to dinner as a belated birthday celebration / reward for saving me a plumber'$$$ fee by fixing my sink.

Not trying to cheap out; the concatenation is merely descriptive. I intend to treat Chuck to another dinner next weekend. Be assured he'll hold me to it.

Our waitress, whilst serving us, was obliged to tend to a party of eight, each member of which, as Chuck noted, ordered drink(ss), appetizer, entree, coffee, and dessert. 

I ordered a crab cake, hold the tartar sauce, side of lemon wedges. The menu listed simply "crabcake," no mention of accompaniments, but I know they often come drizzled with mayonnaise-based sauce, which I cannot abide.

The crab cake was presented on a bed of greens, all drizzled in pink Rémoulade.

I objected on the grounds that I'd specifically requested that I did not want sauce, only lemon (which was not provided).

The waitress tartly replied that I'd said "tartar" sauce; this was "Rémoulade."

I argued that my point was I didn't want sauce. 

She argued back, I held my ground, she stalked off.

Twenty minutes later (delay in the kitchen, not her fault), she returned with the unadorned crab cake. Her snippy attitude had dissipated; she said she'd given my crab cake to another person who'd ordered same.

The crab cake was lying on a substantial pile of mesclun; I asked her to please bring balsamic vinaigrette. 

The waitress laughed mirthlessly and snidely retorted that I'd asked for no dressing, then brought it to me. 

I tip at least twenty-percent, often more, to compensate for having a lower bill than most. I never withhold money on account of subpar service, provided the server is pleasant.

Generally, I'd deduct substantially for pissy attitude; in this case, given the mitigating circumstances of her being harried, I gave a fifteen-dollar tip on a fifty-six-dollar tab.

After all, I also fell short of pleasant.













 



Recognized
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by MoonWillow at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Elizabeth Emerald All rights reserved.
Elizabeth Emerald has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.