General Fiction posted August 9, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
saved by a dachsund

Sir Winston

by mermaids


Anna picks up Winston, her foster dachshund and places him in a wheelchair. Once a week, she brings the little dog with the cart to hold up his hind legs, to the nursing home. Many of the residents pet Winston who licks hands and legs and appears to enjoy his weekly visits. Many of the nursing home residents smile and talk to the little dog as if he understands them. He tilts his head
as if what is being said is the most important thing he ever heard. Anna claims Winston is very intelligent and understands everything that is said to him. Winston barks in agreement.

Anna pushes Winston to the rehab unit. Carl is sitting in a wheelchair and he smiles when he sees Winston. "Hello there, little fellow. You are quite the handsome boy." Winston nudges Carl's one leg. Carl laughs and pets the little dog.

"He seems to really like you."

Anna picks Winston up and puts him in Carl's lap. Carl likes the feel of the small canine. It makes his day.

"You are such a cute little guy. What happened to your hind legs? "

Winston makes himself comfortable in Carl's lap.

"Oh, Winston was born without the use of his hind legs. I took him in because no one wanted
him. He is a very young dog, only about a year old. He is a happy dog, loves people and animals."

Carl listens intently to Anna. The little dog did not appear to be affected by the cart and his hind legs being lame. It made Carl think.

"I will be here for a few more weeks for therapy. I would love to see Winston again. Carl kisses Winston on the head and receives a wet kiss on the mouth. Carl lets out a laugh, a rarity for him
nowadays.

The following week, Anna returns with Winston. Carl is waiting for the little dachshund and the two of them greet each other like old friends. Winston lets out a little bark which makes Carl smile. Winston visits carl for two more weeks. Man and canine enjoy each other's company. Carl even has doggie treats for his wiener friend. The treats are devoured quickly.

Anna brings Winston into the nursing home to visit Carl one last time. Carl has a serious look on his face.

"Anna, I want to adopt Winston. I think he would be happy in our home. My wife is in agreement. We love dogs and have not had a dog for awhile. Since I lost my leg, I have been depressed and crabby. But I lost my leg due to not taking care of my diabetes. Totally my fault. But Winston brings me out of my funk. He does not have the use of his hind legs but he appears to be well adjusted and enjoys life. And his lame hind legs are not his fault. My wife wants to meet to him.

Anna smiles. I have nine foster dogs. I think Winston would be great for you. I have to visit your home and need references.

"No problem there. I 'll give you the name of the vet we use to take our dogs to."

Carl scratches behind Winston's ears. He puts his head against his one leg and shuts his eyes. Anna feels the two have bonded and is delighted that Winston found a home.

After checking Carl's references and visiting his home, Winston arrives to his forever home. Carl and his wife have toys, a dog bed, top notch dog food, and several well behaved grandchildren who all rush over to pet Winston. A black cat wanders over to Winston and nudges him with her nose.

"We also adopted a cat from the shelter. Looks like Midnight and Winston are going to get along fine."

Anna feels good and happily lets Winston go. The new home seems to be a perfect place for a happy wiener.

A few weeks later, Anna checks in on Winston to see how things are going. The atmosphere at Winston's new home is jovial as Carl and his wife answer the door laughing. Anna likes the change she sees in Carl. He is walking with an artificial leg, he invites Anna in. He motions for her to sit down. Winston trots over to her and give a small hello bark. She reaches down and pets the small dog.

"We have decided to call Winston "Sir Winston. He deserves the title. I have learned from him to not see my lack of a leg, as a deficit to stop me. Life is not what do not have, but what you do have. Sir Winston has the best personality and we are so happy to have him."

Anna smiles and is glad she brought the little dachshund to the nursing home. Life turned out much better than she ever thought.




Disabilities contest entry
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. mermaids All rights reserved.
mermaids has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.