General Fiction posted May 10, 2021


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
a story

small town drama

by judester


Edward walked briskly along the avenue leading to the old farmhouse. A trail of blood from the shotgun wound followed him along the grassy sidewalk. Tucked beneath his jacket, the single bag of loot he had managed to escape with.

No idea where his two buddies were. As soon as they heard the sirens, they took off.

Edward had managed to crawl out the women's washroom window just as the cops came in shooting.

Reaching the old familiar farmhouse, he ran down the wildflower garden path and up onto the wooden porch.

Grandma Ruth stopped humming and looked up from trimming her broad beans.  She gave her grandson a warm smile
then noticed that he was distressed and breathing hard.

He stood before her shaking like a leaf.

''What is it Eddy? What have you done now?''

With a choked sigh he ran past her up the stairs. He slammed the door and threw the stolen money onto the bed. Nervously he paced his childhood bedroom.

The image in the mirror shocked him.
Jeez Louise, he whispered. 

Red faced and nervous, his shaking hands ran through damp hair.

He could now hear the sirens wail down the avenue, getting louder.

Dean the sheriff and two other patrol cars pulled into the tree lined drive.

Peeking through the open window and dusty screen, Eddie's heart sank to hear his grandmother greet the men warmly and helpfully send them upstairs.

''Will you be wanting some sweet tea Dean? It's a scorcher today."



The old farmhouse writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Edward walked briskly along the avenue leading to the old farmhouse........

Continue the story/fiction/beg/mid/end/-tell us an interesting, atmospheric tale in 250 words. Write your own title(not included in word count)


Thanks to Renate-Bertodi for the artwork. I lived in a small town where everyone knew everyone. The sheriff arresting the town drunk was his grade school friend.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Renate-Bertodi at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. judester All rights reserved.
judester has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.