Mystery and Crime Fiction posted April 19, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
When Push Came To Shove -

On the Edge of Deception Pg 19

by Begin Again

The author has placed a warning on this post for language.

After suffering the consequences of a physical beating from her father, with a belt, Beth Culbertson decides she will not take any more abuse and runs away, but the father has a different story to tell.







Officer McKenzie yelled from the cafe doorway, “Hey, Campini, get that coffee and donuts to go.”

 

Officer Joe Campini hurried to the squad car carrying two large cups of coffee and a bag of donuts. He opened the passenger door and handed one of the large styrofoam cups to his partner, Levi McKenzie. “What’s the rush?”

 

“Got a call on that runaway girl. The one they had the press conference on. A neighbor spotted her in the alley behind her house. Chief wants us to check it out.”

 

Joe climbed into the car and fastened his seat belt. “Let’s roll.” 

 

He pulled an iced jelly bismarck from the white paper bag. “Too bad you’re driving, Levi.” Taking a big bite of the donut, he laughed with his mouth full. Jelly oozed from the corners of his mouth. “The perks of riding shotgun, I guess.”

 

Levi sneered at him, “Just shut up and see if you spot any suspicious girls.”

 

“Girls, women, they’re all suspicious to me.” Joe chuckled and continued munching on his donut, occasionally wiping away the excess jelly on his face.

 

Levi maneuvered the squad car up and down every alley in the neighborhood, shining lights around tall garbage cans and cars, anywhere someone might hide.

 

Leaving the Culbertson home, Hank Armato drove up and down every side street, searching for Beth as well. When he saw the cruiser, his concern for her safety heightened. He hoped Beth would slip through their net, because like it or not, she wasn’t safe with the police either. Elections were fast approaching, and Chief O’Shea thought solving a high-profile case would be highly beneficial to his campaign, and he didn’t care who became the suspect.

 

Not wanting to be observed, Hank pulled his Mercedes into a driveway. A for-sale sign in the yard indicated the house was empty. He reached for his cell and placed a call to Bert.

 

She answered on the first ring. “Hello”

 

“Bert, it’s Hank. Just letting you know I made a stop at the Culbertson house about an hour ago. I knocked on the door, but no one answered. A few seconds later, I saw our girl running across the backyard. I called her name, but she vanished. Someone must have called it in because there’s been a cruiser circling the area for the last thirty minutes.”

 

“For her to return to the house, she must be getting desperate.” Bert paused before asking,  “Should I come out there with you?”

 

“Nah, I’d say she slipped under the cops’ radar. Haven’t seen the cruiser for about ten minutes.” Hank sighed, “Sorry, Bert. I wish I had better news.”

 

“Me, too. Thanks for trying, Hank.”

 

“I’ll drive around a few more times, but it doesn’t look promising. Talk to you tomorrow.”

 

“Good night, Hank.”

 

Hank pulled the Mercedes back out onto the street and slowly circled the neighborhood. One block from the Culbertson house, he saw a woman walking her dog. Lowering the passenger window, Hank called out to her, “Sorry to bother you, but I’m looking for a blonde girl about five foot three, one hundred and ten pounds. Have you seen anyone fitting the description tonight?”

 

“Some cops stopped and asked me the same question. I thought they were looking for the Culbertson girl, but they were hush-hush about it. I’ll tell you the same thing I told them. I ain’t seen nothin’ or no one. Just taking Mr. Tiny out for his nightly walk, minding my own business.”  

 

“Sure, I understand. I’m Hank Armato, a private investigator. Can I give you my card in case you happen to remember something? I’ll make it worth your while if you do.”

 

She hesitated and then stepped over to the car. “You got a nice ride, Hank. I’ll take your card, but I ain’t promising anything.”

 

“Thanks … What’s your name?”

 

“Amanda...Amanda Takowski.”

 

“Just give me a call, Amanda, if you do remember anything. Have a good night.” Hank waved and drove away.

 

She admired the car as it drove away. She glanced at the business card and smiled.  
Mighty fine ride, Hank Armato.

 

“Come on, Mr. Tiny, time for us to go home.” They continued their walk down the sidewalk. Amanda couldn’t wipe the smile off her face. Mighty fine driver too!

 

*************

 

Nancy parked around the corner from Dwight’s place. She’d sat in her car watching a police cruiser circling the area. It wasn’t surprising in this area, but she wasn’t taking any chances of someone spotting her. In place of her four-inch high heels, Nancy had deliberately worn Nikes with her tight-fitting blue jeans. 

 

Nancy slipped down the alley, walking in the shadows so as not to be seen. When she reached Dwight’s backyard, she hastened across it and onto the porch. She opened the door and called out, “Dwight, it’s Nancy. Are you decent?” 

 

“I’m in here. Grab me a beer and get one for you, too.” 

She could tell he was still drunk.

 

She opened the fridge, grabbed a Heineken for Dwight, and decided against one for herself. She thought it odd the table and several chairs were pushed to the side, and a carving knife lay on the floor. Dwight, wearing only boxer shorts, was sprawled in the recliner. Nancy handed him the beer and chose to sit in the Queen Anne chair across the room.

 

“You must be fresh out of kisses, huh? Ya gave too many away.”  Dwight swallowed the beer, gulping like he was dying of thirst. It trickled down his chin. He wiped it with his hand and then onto his shorts.

 

“Don’t start, Dwight. I came over here to talk, make things right between us.”  She got up and walked to the kitchen, returning with a spray can of Febreze. “The stench is pretty bad. Is it the house or all the stale booze on you?”

 

“Ain’t nothing wrong with me or the house. You’ve just been hanging around that fancy Rotello guy too much.”

 

“For God’s sake, how many times do I have to tell you Peter and I are doing a little business together. There’s nothing else going on.”

 

“A little monkey business?”  Dwight snorted and finished off the Heineken. He waved it in the air at Nancy. “I’ll take another one.”

 

“This isn’t the Last Chance. Get your own.” Nancy sprayed the air freshener in the living room and then walked down the hallway, refreshing the air as she walked.

 

Dwight went to the kitchen, got the beer, and trailed her down the hallway. “Woman, I need to get some of your honey pot. Lay down and give it to me.” Nancy’s face screamed disgust.

 

“ Back off, Dwight. I’m not in the mood.”  Nancy tried to step around him, but he blocked her way.

 

“Since when are you not in the mood? Since your fancy Peter stepped in, right?” He grabbed her, wrapping her in his arms, pinning her. 

 

“Dwight, let me go.” She wiggled and squirmed, trying to break loose. “Why are you acting like this? He’s not my Peter.”

 

“Then tell me, what kind of business you got going with Mr. Rotello? Isn’t that the company involved with those hijackings?” Dwight laughed, “You and Peter stealing from daddy? Wow, that’d be a kicker, wouldn’t it?”

 

Nancy flinched. How could he have guessed that? “Don’t be stupid, Dwight. Why would you say something like that?”

 

“Easy. Jesse was always running late-night jobs for you. He disappears the night of the last hijacking. You got something going with Peter. It adds up.”

 

“No, it doesn’t add up. I have no idea where Jesse tripped off to, probably some chick somewhere. I was getting ready to fire him anyhow.”

 

“Really, why would you fire, Jesse?”

 

“He was skimming. I just hadn’t caught him at it yet.”

 

“Funny, you never mentioned it.”

 

“I don’t have to tell you everything that goes on at the Last Chance. My business has nothing to do with you.”

 

“Tough one, aren’t you? All women are alike.” He belched, farted, and then laughed at his vulgarity. “That bitch daughter of mine was here today. Pulled a carving knife on me, threatening me. Thought she was tough, but ole Dad, he don’t back down. Showed her a thing or two, and she high-tailed it down the alley.”

 

“Beth was here? Why? What did she want?” Nancy wasn’t sure how fail-proof their plan would be if Beth ever started telling her side of the story to the right people. And now it appeared, Dwight was smarter than she'd given him credit.

 

“It’s her mother’s birthday. Guess she thought she was going to kiss and makeup.” 

 

Dwight tried to kiss Nancy, but she turned her head away. Angered, he slapped her before throwing her violently across the bed. “Are you getting the message? I’m the boss here. Not you, just me.” He stood next to the bed, almost begging her to say something. He wanted to slap her again.

 

Nancy rubbed her hand across her cheek. Her eyes smoldered with hate. She needed an escape route, and she needed it fast. She changed her approach.

 

“I’m sorry, Dwight. I don’t know what I was thinking.” She rolled over on the bed and patted the space next to her. “Come over here with me. Let Mama make it up to you.”

 

“Now you’re talking my language.” He eagerly crawled into bed and started to kiss her and rub his hands up and down her luscious curves.

 

“Let’s not rush things, okay?” She leaned over and kissed him.”I’ll get us some cold beers, and when I come back, you better be ready for some action. You up to that?”

 

“Forget the beers. I’m ready now.”  His hands kept pulling at her clothes, trying to get to her warm, sexy flesh.

 

The wheels in Nancy’s head were spinning. 

 

Think! Think! 

 

Suddenly, a light bulb lit up in her head. She had a plan of escape. She just needed to turn on the charm.

 

“Dwight, honey, remember that game we played on New Year’s Eve?” She massaged the growing bulge in his boxers. “It’s Nancy’s turn. Remember you promised to let me be first the next time.”

 

“Sure, honey. You can go first.” His hunger for her body was growing in leaps and bounds.

 

Nancy slipped off the bed and walked to the closet. Inside, she grabbed two of his ties. Satisfied with her plan, she returned to Dwight. “Okay, sweetie pie, give Mama your hand.” Honey dripped off every word.

 

“No funny business now, right? You’re not going to run off on me, are you?” He licked his lips, “Cuz that wouldn’t be nice, and I’d be pissed.”

 

“I promise, baby. It’s is going to be a night you won’t forget.” Her thoughts weren't anything she'd want Dwight to hear.

 

He eagerly lifted his hand to hers, and she quickly tied it to the bedpost. Walking around the bed, she took the other tie and wrapped it around his wrist and the other bedpost, pulling it snug.

 

“Come on, Mama. Ole Dwight is raring to go! Let’s ride’em, Cowgirl!” He couldn’t contain his excitement. His tongue darted in and out of his mouth, allowing drool to seep from the corners. He started to gyrate his pelvis up and down. 

 

“Whoa, Cowboy! We don’t want to rush things.” Nancy playfully scolded. “I’ll get those beers and be right back.” She blew him a kiss, then turned and wiggled her tush at him before hurrying down the hallway. 

 

Her plan had worked. Now all she had to do was leave, but something deep inside stopped her. From the kitchen, she could hear Dwight screaming and swearing. “Where’d you go, bitch? I’ll kill you when I get out of here. You’re going to regret this.”

 

Rubbing her cheek, she thought about how’d he’d treated her that afternoon. How he’d always treated her and every woman he ever knew. The more he cussed, the angrier she got. She could walk out the door and kiss him goodbye, but she knew he would hound her forever. There was only one way to stop Dwight Culbertson, and she was the woman to do it.

 

Removing the colorful silk scarf from her neck, she bent over and used it to pick up the carving knife. Once in her hand, her heart started to pound, not from fear but excitement. She wanted to see the terror in Dwight’s eyes. She wanted him to know she'd won, not him. 

 

She walked down the hallway, entering the bedroom, listening to him call her every foul name he could summon. She knelt with one knee on the side of the bed, calmly with no reservation. She raised the knife in the air, watching Dwight’s terrified face as he realized what was happening. 

 

“Noooo! Oh my God, baby. I didn’t mean any of what I said. I love you!” His eyes were wide. He struggled to get his arms free but to no avail. “Please, baby, don’t do this.” His begging only incited her mounting rage. 

 

Smiling, she plunged the knife deep into his chest and twisted it with all her strength. His wild screams of agony aroused her. His final gasp for air felt satisfying. Removing the scarf, she stood and started to laugh hysterically as his life ebbed away. 

 

“Remember, Dwight, you said payback’s a bitch. You picked on the wrong woman.” She turned and walked down the hallway. 

 

Once she reached the kitchen, she stopped at the refrigerator, took out a Heineken, popped the top on a drawer pull, and lifted it high in the air, saying, “This one’s for you, Dwight,” as she slipped out the back door, hurrying down the alley to her car.

 

Dwight’s neighbor, Amanda, took a long draw on her cigarette and watched Nancy disappear.




Recognized


Dwight Culbertson - a violent drunk and father
Beth - the sixteen yr old daughter of Dwight Culbertson
Rachel - Beth's best friend and confidant
Nancy - Owner of Last Chance and Dwight's mistress
Ethan - upstanding, good-hearted college basketball star
Tyson - Ethan's best friend and college basketball jock, who believes in self-survival
Jesse - A risky choice of friends for Tyson and bartender at Last Chance
Miguel - Jesse's partner in crime
Roberta - (Bert) Caseworker
Virginia (Gigi) - caseworker and sidekick to Bert
Detective Ric Santiago
Hank Arnato - retired detective and currently Private Investigator
Nathan Rotello - trucking company owner
Peter Rotello - Nate's son
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Begin Again All rights reserved.
Begin Again has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.