Humor Flash Fiction posted March 15, 2021


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Old song shows its age

Off by Thirty Years

by Elizabeth Emerald


Despite the efforts of my father to instill in me appreciation of classical music; I spurned his attempts to introduce me to the late great Beethoven, Bach, and Co. He lured me to an opera (once) with the promise of early supper at an automat. (Old-time cafeteria featuring coin-operated vending machines). My mother had made me a green brocade gown for the grand occasion; I was thus a tad overdressed for dinner.

My "taste" in music is raucously unrefined: rock from the '70's rules!

The 80's and 90's passed me by, mired as I was in raising three children and a two-year old husband. By the time I discovered music from those eras, it was passe.

It's ironic that one who plays with words and disdains literary (so to speak) pap, will eschew sophisticated lyrics in favor of insipid and offensive ones if my ears prefer the tune accompanying the latter. For instance, I'll overlook gibberish from David Bowie (e.g. "Diamond Dogs") and T. Rex (e.g. "Bang a Gong").


Yesterday, the radio played "Dirty Deeds, Done Dirt Cheap," by AC/DC, which features a hit-man for hire proffering (in background vocals) a menu of murder methods, including cyanide and dynamite.

I recall having first heard the song about ten years ago and delighted in its hard rock beat; I'd assumed it had been recently released. 

When I heard it on the radio last night I attended to the lyrics:

Pick up the phone
I'm always home
Call me any time


Busted! 

The song (released in 1981) revealed its age: 

Landline!

 










 



Recognized


Ac/Dc by MKFlood on FanArtReview.com THANK YOU!
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by MKFlood at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Elizabeth Emerald All rights reserved.
Elizabeth Emerald has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.