Letters and Diary Non-Fiction posted July 6, 2016


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A letter to my sister.

Why do Bad Things Happen?

by justjo66


Carolyn,
Today you had your surgery on your nose to remove the cancer that has come back. I know when you visited on mom's birthday in June that you had concerns.
I hope my words gave you some comfort. You have always been there for me and all of us. I am at a loss to express how concerned I am and how much I love you.

Ken said the surgery went on for hours longer than expected. The doctor said he had to go back in three times before the pathologist gave the 'all clear'. The incision was to be made down your nose this time instead across the bridge. The surgeon had to pull tissue up from under your eyes to get enough to suture you. Over one-hundred stitches are a lot.

You are back home now. I spoke with Ken a few minutes ago. He said you were groggy and sleeping on the couch. "Let her sleep," was my advice. I'll call her in a few days." I pray that he will be sensitive to your feelings about your appearance. I don't know why I'm worried. He seemed upset on the phone and almost in tears. I told him you will have black eyes and a swollen face with multiple bruises everywhere on your face. By the time you get this letter those bruises, hopefully, will be resolving to lovely greens and yellows. Your lovely button nose will have a scar running from the bridge to almost the tip of your nose. "It's not vanity. Anyone would be concerned. For Pete's sake, it's your nose."

For the life of me; I do not understand why this has happened to you, my beloved sister. You are the perfect one...all your life you have been so good. You have served the Lord with all your heart and helped to raise us when mom and dad were having so much trouble with his alcohol.

Why? Do bad things happen to good people? I guess I'm not the first to ask God this question.
One thing I hold on to and will never let go is the fact that I know God is in control of all situations. My whys may never be answered until I get to Heaven. Maybe not even then.

Tonight I pray for you as I do every morning and night. Rest in peace my dear oldest sister. I love you forever. I can't wait to see you again.




A letter to my sister. A journal entry. I will probably not mail this one.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. justjo66 All rights reserved.
justjo66 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.