General Fiction posted February 17, 2015


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Poetry and Prose Together

Light-Fitting or Chandelier?

by kiwisteveh

Three pot-bellied glass jars with fluted rims and fanciful tracery dangle from the centre of my ceiling.

"Not posh enough to be a chandelier," my wife says. "It's just a light fitting."

Which must sadden the flocks of moths who, without thought of self-preservation, hurl themselves of an evening into the glowing openings, where they dance their final tribute to the searing Siren who has lured them to destruction.

I hear their tiny wings flapping and fluttering an eerie accompaniment to their tortured tango. Sometimes a larger specimen rings his own death knell as he beats out his rhythmic idolatry against the glass of this vitreous tomb.

Day by day the dusty bodies accumulate. "It's a fire hazard," my wife says, so once a month, I hoist the Hoover to a precarious position atop the step-ladder. Once again the tiny dancers fly in a splendid swirl, a frenzied flurry, before rushing down the tube into the great bag of eternal darkness.

Perhaps, like Odysseus, I shall lash myself to the mast when those irresistible strains float on the evening breeze. But if I should break my bonds, I know I'll be looking for something a touch classier than a commonplace light-fitting.

 
when my siren sings
I shall dance to my glory
on a chandelier




 



Poetry and Prose-Finally Together contest entry


Odysseus (Ulysses) wished to hear the voices of the irresistible Sirens. He ordered his men to tie him to the mast and their own ears were plugged with wax so they would not succumb.

Yep, the reminder to vacuum the bugs from the light-fitting just came up again...
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. kiwisteveh All rights reserved.
kiwisteveh has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.