General Non-Fiction posted June 6, 2013 Chapters:  ...5 111 -112- 113... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Information Sheet to suppliment my poetry of them.

A chapter in the book Baltimore's Museums

The Jewish Museum of Maryland

by Mike K2

The Jewish Museum was established in 1960 to save and restore the Lloyd Street and B'nai Israel (built in 1876 and still active) Synagogues, as well a more modern museum building which makes up the Jewish Museum's campus.

The Lloyd Street Synagogue is United State's third oldest and opened in 1845 as Baltimore Hebrew Congregation until 1889. It was purchased by people who were Lithuanian Catholic immigrants and became the St. John the Baptist Lithuanian Catholic Church.

During the 1890's, a new wave of Jewish immigrants from Europe started arriving and repurchased the church as the St. John's congregation moved out of it. It then became a traditional shul known as Shomrei Musgneres Ha-Kodesh who seized the opportunity and restored it back to its original purpose.

Due to the declining Jewish population in the area, the synagogue fell into disrepair and in 1960, The Jewish Historical Society of Maryland was formed to save and restore the synagogue. The Jewish Museum of Maryland was also created.

The museum hosts the "Synagogue Speaks" tour and exhibits, "Voices of Lombard Street," which is about the aspects of Jewish life in the area as well and how it fits into the history of the area and Baltimore.

The museum also has temporary exhibits such as: "Chosen Foods (prior)," "ZAP! POW! BAM! The Superhero: The Golden Age of Comic Books, 1938-1950 (current)," and "Passages Through The Fire: Jews and the Civil War (planned)."

They also present programs and exhibits in regards to aspects of Jewish culture, history and practice, as well as community outreach.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mike K2 All rights reserved.
Mike K2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.