General Fiction posted March 6, 2013 Chapters:  ...11 12 -13- 14... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Marie makes her decision

A chapter in the book The Curse of 'Gator Bayou

Chapter 13 Decisions

by justjo66



Background
The picture is titled "Bridge to No Where" by osbornefishin. I often think making big decisions of life are like crossing bridges thus the picture.
Chapter 13 Decisions

Marie had a wonderful time at her birthday party. The girls and Madame had bought her beautiful suits of clothes, shoes, hats, and frilly dressing gowns. Madame had introduced her to all the men. The attention had given her a funny feeling in the pit of her stomach. Marie had been raised up in the bayous but she wasn't stupid. The next morning would arrive accompanied by a hard decision.

It was 5 am and Marie couldn't sleep. She could still hear a few of the patrons down stairs laughing and drinking and the faint sounds of some of the girls still plying their trade behind closed doors. Was it so bad? She thought. I could do what I did to survive Mr. Terrebonne...just go to another place in my head. Could I even stand to have a man touch me? Marie slipped out of her room and tip-toed down the carpeted hall to Nell's room. No sounds were coming from inside. She needed answers bad enough that the risk would be worth it to knock. She knocked lightly on the door.

"Who's there?" Nell's groggy voice asked.

"It's me, Marie, let me in." Marie whispered

Nell opened the door a crack and whispered, "What the hell? What you doing up at this time of the morning, girl?"

"I need to talk to you, please let me in." Marie pleaded.

"Oh, alright, but you know I'm goin' to look like warmed over piss in the mornin'." Nell opened the door. "Now what is it that can't wait 'til a decent hour?"

"Nell, you know I have to give Miss Gigi an answer in the morning. I don't know what to do. My mama didn't raise me to be a fancy woman. She read her Bible to me and taught me I should save myself for my man. What man gonna want to marry me, anyway. I'm already a 'soiled dove' as my mama calls them. My step-daddy made sure of that.

"Marie, gosh darn it. I can't tell you what you should decide. Most of us girls weren't taught to be fancy women either...we just drifted into it for whatever reasons. Mostly to survive. I came to New Orleans with my boyfriend, Austin, after he joined the navy. Oh, we had some fun for awhile that is until he shipped out. I told him I would be true to him and wait but he sure didn't do the same for me. About a month ago after he shipped out I got a dear Jane letter breaking off with me. It seems I had been a fool just like my brother told me. He left me here in New Orleans high and dry without a penny. Hell, I wasn't about to write my brother and let him know he was right. I'd rather starve to death before I would go home to Texas with my tail tucked between my legs. My brother thinks I'm working in the shipyards in Avondale. Soon I'll have enough money to buy the ranch next to him. Then I'll go back home."

"Wow, Nell. Why didn't you go to work in the shipyard?"

"I'll tell you why. I'm not a patient person like my brother. I want everything right now. Working in that filthy shipyard I would barely have made enough to live on and save a little money. Here I had a chance to make more money and girl the work ain't that bad," Nell laughed. "I'd already been rode hard and put up wet. What did I have to lose," Nell slapped her thighs and laughed again. "Anyway, I've been working here for almost three years now and I almost have enough to go home in style. Pretty soon that big old six foot five brother of mine will eat his words and I'll give him a run for his money in the ranching business."

"Thanks Nell. You are a true friend. I guess I'd better leave you alone and get some sleep. Goodnight. I'll see you in the morning."

Madame Gigi caught Marie as she was coming downstairs for breakfast. "Marie, let's talk in my office." Madame sat down behind a huge mahogany desk and motioned for Marie to take a seat. "Now, you know I need a decision from you this morning. So tell me. What is your answer?"

"I know you have been very kind to me these past months. You have kept me off the streets and given me a beautiful place to live and clothes and made me feel like a princess. But I can't work for you as one of your girls." Marie shook her head.

Madame Gigi's face flushed red and her mouth dropped. "What! Why you little ungrateful little piss ant!

"No-o-o, please, I am very grateful. I still want to work for you; just not as one of the girls."

"Do you think I would have taken someone as pretty as you in just to be my maid?" Madame Gigi's voice had gotten cold and hard. "What kind of fool do you take me for? I have spent a fortune on you and introduced you to Congressmen, Generals and some of the wealthiest men in New Orleans and you want to be a maid?" Madame Gigi sneered. "Get OUT...GET OUT of my sight!"

Marie began crying and headed back up the stairs to her room.

Knocking softly on Marie's door Miss Moselle stood outside her door with a breakfast tray. "Miss Marie, open the door, it's Miss Moselle. I have some food for you, honey."

Marie opened the door. "Come in."

"Oh, look at you chile, your eyes are all swollen and red. Stop your crying. I knows my sister can be hard but I talked with her and she said she would let you stay on as a maid for another month untils you can find another job."

"Oh, thank you, Miss Moselle." Marie hugged Miss Moselle.

"Now, you drys those pretty blue eyes and eat your breakfast. Then comes down to the kitchen and I'll gives you some work to do." Miss Moselle smiled.

Everything was going to be alright after all. Marie thought. "I will find another job." Marie said aloud.




Someone has suggested I tell a little about my characters.
Marie, one of the main characters is 18 years old and has been working as a maid for Madame Gigi for the past few months.
Nell-is a working girl that lives in the same house. She is from Texas and is in her late twenty's
Miss Mosselle-is Gigi's (the Madame of the house)cook and sister
Renee, is the male main character. He is sheriff of Houma.
Hope this helps. :o)
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. justjo66 All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
justjo66 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.