General Fiction posted February 26, 2013 Chapters:  ...6 7 -7- 8... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Sheriff Renee Herbert gets a strange call.

A chapter in the book The Curse of 'Gator Bayou

Voodoo Curses

by justjo66



Background
Last we heard Marie had been bailed out of jail by Madame Gigi, the owner of the finest bordello in Louisiana. Sheriff Renee's marriage has problems.
Chapter 7 Voodoo Curses

"Sally, you know I have been home a whole two weeks now and things just aren't getting any better with Renee. I swear all the man talks about is having babies."Evangeline sat primly on a gold brocade French Provincial sofa in the large parlor of her best friend. "I'm so glad I have a friend like you to confide in. "Evangeline took another sip of her coffee from a delicate blue and white china cup.

"Oh, you poor dear, "Sally said joking. "My Harvey hardly ever wants sex and when he does it's just the same old boring stuff." Sally replied. "Now, if I had a cutie like you, oh baby, could I do some damage." Sally laughed.

"We have sex at least once a week. Renee just insists on it. And some of the things he wants to do, why, it makes me blush to even mention it." Evangeline shook her head and then changed the subject abruptly. "How do you like my new hat? You didn't say a word about it and I was sure it would just make you green with envy. Daddy bought it for me in New York. "

"Wait a minute...you were just getting to the juicy part, don't stop now. What kind of stuff does he like to do?" Sally plied.

"Sally, you have been my friend since first grade but you don't have to know everything about me. Now forget about Renee. Do you like my new hat or not?"
"Oh, I just love it. I was going to say something right off the bat but then we got so busy talking and I just forgot. You are just going to have to invite me along on your next trip." Sally smiled. "Harvey would probably love to have me leave for two months, that way he could spend more time with his mistress." Sally rolled her eyes.

"A mistress, oh no, not Harvey?" Evangeline gasped.

"Oh, I don't care. Let him have his fun; as long as he gives me his money and keeps it quiet. I don't really care what he does. He'd better NOT bring home any of those nasty old diseases that I have heard about. You know I make him wear one of those rubber things, a condom, yes, that's what they call them. They're supposed to keep all the nasties away and prevent pregnancy, too. At least that's what I've heard. The good Lord knows I don't want any brats." Sally took a sip of her coffee and placed it back on a silver tray. "I tell you what, Evie; let's get George my driver to take us up to Baton Rouge today. We can go shopping and maybe find some mischief to get into." Sally smiled.

"Great, that should cheer me up a little. You know I love to shop." Evangeline agreed. "I'll just call Renee and let him know we might just stay the night. I hear there are a few nice clubs in Baton Rouge. We'll just do our civic duty and entertain a few of the troops." Evangeline laughed hardily.

Renee was gone on a domestic violence call when Evangeline called and left a message that she'd be gone a few days to Baton Rouge with Sally. He wasn't fond of Sally; he had always thought she was a little too loose with her morals but Evangeline had known her since grade school and thought the world of her. Before he could get settled in good and have his lunch another call came in.

"Sheriff's department, Sheriff Herbert speaking."

"Is this the sheriff?" The caller asked.

"Yes, I'm Sheriff Herbert. What can I do for you?"

"There's some funny business going on up in Devil's Bayou. Witchy stuff, I've seen lights at night in the sky and heard some weird sounds. I think you need to check it out, sheriff."

"I'll get right on it. Thank you. I'm sorry but I didn't get your name?"

"No need..." and the caller hung up.

Sheriff Renee got up from his desk. "Pat, come with me, I think I just got a prank call but I need to take the boat out to Devil's Bayou and check things out."

"What's going on Sheriff?" Deputy Pat got up quickly from his lunch.

"Oh something about weird lights and sounds out in Devil's Bayou. Most likely just swamp gases or poachers if anything." Renee replied.

"Man, I don't know...that is a real scary bayou. They don't call it Devil's Bayou for nothing. Lots of old abandoned boats and swamp grasses so thick it will tangle you motor. Alligators big as our boat and creatures no one knows what they are. Lots of strange things out that way." Pat said.

"Why Pat, if I didn't know better I'd think you're afraid to go out that way." Renee smiled.

"Sometimes it pays to be scared. Some Voodoo priestess put a gris gris (curse) on you if you not careful just because you come into her territory."

"I'll take my chances, I don't believe in that mumbo jumbo. Get your gear and let's go before it gets any later." Renee walked out the door toward his truck.

Launching the police boat went off without any problems. Pat and Renee were soon on their way to Devil's Bayou. They had not seen anything or anyone suspicious all the way out. That is until they crossed the old rusty fence post with the sagging moss covered sign broadcasting that they were now in ' Devil's Bayou and to STAY OUT.'

"Man this place is creepy." Pat whispered.

"I won't argue with you about that, but just a swamp, a very old swamp." Renee said.

"Look up yonder; a fish camp" Pat said.

They pulled the boat up to the shore and tied it off on an old cypress stump. Immediately they found plucked chicken feathers scattered everywhere. Then on a stump dried blood from some type of animal. They followed the feathers to the steps of the fish cabin and inside the dark cabin a very bad smell first hit them like a wall. Flies buzzing and the stench of something definitely dead was overpowering. Pat ran back out the door and started vomiting. Renee proceeded looking around. On the wall hung a plucked dead chicken with no head and various other occult symbols. Definitely someone had practiced the black arts of Voodoo in this cabin very recently.

"Are you okay Pat?" Sheriff Renee yelled out the open door.

"I'm okay; you need to get out of that place. NOW!" Pat yelled.

At that moment Sheriff Renee stumbled over the thing that had been causing all the stench. It was a disemboweled pig. The face of the pig had been painted white and dark charcoal smeared around both eyes and the snout.

"Geez, Pat I found the smell. You won't believe it." Renee yelled.

"Get out of there man this is a house of curses! We mess with this and we'll have a gris gris put on us!" Pat yelled as he backed away and got in the police boat.

Sheriff Renee came dragging the fly infested stinking pig out the front door of the shack. "We can't leave this thing. I'm going to throw it in the Bayou, the gators will eat it."

"Hurry up" Pat pleaded. "We need to get the hell away from here." Pat was making the sign of the cross as he motioned for Renee to get in the boat.

Once Sheriff Renee disposed of the pig he climbed back into the police boat. "When we get back to the station I'll find out who owns this property and have them clean up the rest of that mess."

"Just get me back to dry land." Deputy Pat was visibly shaken and pale.

Two days later, Deputy Pat did not show up for duty.
"Marcel, drive out to Pat's house and see why he didn't come to work this morning. Damn him I don't know why he won't get a phone."

"Right Sheriff, I'll get right on it." Marcel got up and headed out the door. Deputy Pat lived far out on Bayou Road but Marcel didn't mind the drive. It was a nice day and the scenery was pleasant. Pulling up in the gravel driveway Marcel felt a strange chill past over him. His mother had always told him "when you get that feeling someone is walking over your grave." He shrugged it off as just superstition. Once he had gotten out of the patrol car he still couldn't shake the eerie feeling. A strange stillness surrounded him. The usual cacophony of birds and animals in the dense swamp beyond Pat's house seemed oddly quiet.

"Pat! Pat!" Deputy Marcel yelled as he knocked loudly on the front door. "Wake up man!"


Deputy Pat had been found at home dead. It seems he had choked on a ham sandwich and beside his bed lay a strange burlap doll with a white face and dark charcoal circles around the eyes. The coroner filed it as accidental choking. Sheriff Renee had his doubts. Had Pat been right ; were they cursed because they disturbed the fish cabin? He didn't think so. Someone had killed him, this he was certain. He didn't believe in Voodoo curses.


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. justjo66 All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
justjo66 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.