General Poetry posted February 23, 2013 Chapters:  ...4 5 -111- 112... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A Haiku

A chapter in the book Baltimore's Museums

The Jewish Museum in Baltimore

by Mike K2

The Jewish Museum of Maryland





"The Synagogue Speaks," is the name of the tour of both Synagogues and perhaps it speaks too much to me, but for all I consider it an excellent tour for people of all religions to take.

I tell you what, it took me six hours to write this Haiku. Granted I was thinking about it at work and trying to keep my fingers attached to my hands, but usually 20 minutes suffice. I also didn't like the notion of the old Rabbi in the Bimah laughing at me, "So you wanted to know why I went Deli!"

I really wanted to use the photograph of the Lloyd Street Synagogue, the third oldest in the United states, but it just didn't lend itself for use with this Haiku. This is the B'nai Israel Synagogue, an active synagogue that is also toured. I chose this one as it has that exact atmosphere that I wanted to convey, as well the tour guide isn't pushed out by the white board in the other synagogue. I really like him as he leads an excellent and interesting tour, and also accommodated my request that he included mention of the rescued Torahs when I took the tour again for research. The Lloyd Street Synagogue will be featured in one of their upcoming poems.

Photography copyright 2012, Michael W Kohlman, Baltimore, MD
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mike K2 All rights reserved.
Mike K2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.