Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted November 20, 2012


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Short blog piece on my gypsy nature

Born Under a Wandering Star

by justjo66

I was reading some old blogs of Brian's again this morning from Goin' RV Boon docking (Hitchitch.com). That cowboy sure has a lot of wisdom and it's just plain fun reading of his adventures with his wife Heidi and their dogs. They live in their RV full-time and are traveling around this great country. The blog I read today was concerning why he and his wife decided to become full-timers. He was mulling over why he thought he was a gypsy at heart.

I know...to a lot of people the thought of giving up almost everything you have and hitting the road is a freakish idea. Honestly, I have dreamed about it for years. The idea of "seeing what's around the next bend" has always enticed me since my early childhood. I'd see a picture of flowers blooming in the desert in the springtime and want to be there myself. If I could I would walk into that picture and experience all the sensations. I would smell the flowers, feel the wind, taste the grittiness of the air, hear the birds and then take pictures of it all and write about it. I want the whole three dimensional experience.

I saw a movie once with Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood...I think it was "Paint Your Wagon". I especially remember a song Lee Marvin sang in which he said he was "born under a wandering star." I loved that song...it seemed to resonate in my own heart. I think I was born under a wandering star, too. I love variety,and experiencing new things. Sometimes, I feel imprisoned with my life...going to the same job (yes, I am thankful I have one), same home, same, same, same.

I know I sound ungrateful, I'm not. I just know there is MORE out there somewhere. I love my husband, my home, my "things", but it feels like I'm missing something. My life seems too one dimensional and routine.
Please don't get me wrong, routine is good sometimes, especially if getting out of the routine involves being ill or some other drama. I'm NOT into drama! I just need to "fill up" myself with something other than food. Hmmm, that's an interesting statement. Have I been trying to fill myself up with food because I'm craving more variety in my soul? That's a light bulb moment.

Okay, I can't quit my job and take off into the wild wonderful blue yonder...at least not yet...two more years...and then I can retire. I'm hoping to travel until my little skinny (don't smirk, it will be skinny) body cries "take me home". Which, by the way, to date, the longest vacation I have ever had was fifteen days and I was still not ready to call it quits. So, since I have to stay tethered right now. What can I do to keep the life I'm living interesting and "filling" so I don't go bonkers?

Whew! I'm open to suggestions. What else? What can I do to get the variety I crave in my life? Is it truly like the statement: "If you're craving a cookie, a cucumber won't do?" Is the only thing that is going to fill my starving soul...travel? Surely not...




Just musing and thinking about my life. :o) And NO, I don't want to go skydiving. :O)
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. justjo66 All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
justjo66 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.