Biographical Non-Fiction posted April 12, 2012


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Story based on prompt sentence

Lock The Door

by justjo66

She didn't lock her door. In fact, I don't think we had a lock on any of our doors. I grew up in a big old rambling farm house. It was not too many miles from a middle size town. It was the fifties and sixties. It was an innocent time. We went to church on Sundays and would cruise the main drag of town on Friday nights. Pal's Drive In with its car hops on roller skates was a favorite spot to go with my girl friends. We were the "nice" girls. You know, the ones that did not go beyond first base with the boys.

My parents were strict with plenty of rules. "In by midnight, no dates during the week, knock before entering a room", were just a few of the many rules that guided our lives.
We went to church Sunday mornings and evenings, Wednesday prayer meeting night, Thursday Visitation night, and sometimes Friday youth group night. Our lives were
filled with church and rules. Neither of my parents ever spoke of sex to my two sisters or me. The television programs of the day did not teach anything about sex either. What I learned was from my misinformed girlfriends or from whatever "Modern Romance"
book I could find. I had to hide the books because my mom did not allow "such filth in our home."

It was a summer afternoon. We didn't have air conditioning in our old house and it could get really hot and sticky on those long Texas days. My parents, however, did have a water cooler in their bedroom window. I had been out in the pasture trying to keep cool under a Mesquite tree. Anyone who knows anything about Mesquite trees know it's impossible to cool off under one of those scrawny trees. Hey, I was just a silly fourteen year old kid. Anyway, I decided to go back to the house. I heard Mom's water cooler as soon as I entered the house.

"Wow!" I thought. "My sisters must be in there cooling off." The door was closed, of course, but I didn't stop and remember to knock first. Instead, I just opened the door.
I was frozen in my tracks by the sight I saw. My parents were having sex! Or at least that was what it appeared to be since I had never seen anyone having sex. Geez, I did not know my parents still had sex! Mom at thirty four and dad at thirty six...yuck!
I just kept standing there amazed as they scrambled for cover. Finally, my dad yelled and
I snapped out of my trance.

"Get OUT, and CLOSE the DOOR!"

Later, my mom started supper. Nothing was ever mentioned of that event. I smile today to think how innocent I was at fourteen. I also learned a very valuable lesson that I taught my five children. "Always knock and wait for a come in." However, I also learned to always LOCK the door.



She didn't lock her door writing prompt entry
Writing Prompt
Write a poem or short story beginning with the words 'She didn't lock her door...' This may stand alone or be a part of a sentence. Maximum word count: 1,000.

Recognized


The picture is of my mother years ago reading her Bible. There is no intention to discredit my upbringing in any way. This is just a humorous attempt at a slice of my life.Word count 496.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. justjo66 All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
justjo66 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.