General Poetry posted March 17, 2012


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Whose the real ghost?

Those Ghosts of Rock and Roll

by Mike K2

Those Ghosts of Rock and Roll


A forgotten tune suddenly pops into your mind,
or a turn of the dial produces a remembered find.
Perhaps there is a song that brings one deja vu,
or make right the past now forbidden for you.

A long lost love with an old song, you reminisce;
punk rock to blast an unwanted one that persists.
Rock ballad to frame the one right before your eyes;
heavy metal playing, perfectly expresses love's surprise.

You thrash about, with notes to show your mood;
electric classical melody, best chants societies brood.

Totally captured!/

The listener becomes the superstar walking down the street,
but artist is overwhelmed at how many people he will greet.

Some rock n' and rollers hand up their talent before their time,
others perform as if they'll live forever and die before their prime;
but many still find the love of rock and perform their entire life,
whether considered huge or small, with a joy there world is rife.

God bless all those ghosts of rock and roll,
one of the few venues where both the artists
and patrons find a common spiritual soul.

The music will find a way to be played forever,
someone will always rediscover their endeavor!
The musician's spirit lies trunked, under cover;
for future generations to once again discover.

Rock and roll's spirit never dies!
A rocker's soul will always arise!




Poem by Michael W. Kohlman
Photograph by Earl Sullivan,Patti Thailand

Pictured is Darryl Read; Berlin, German and born in London, England. He is a published beat poet, a rock and roll performer and many consider him the father of the Punk Rock Movement.

Darryl is posing next to a poster of Jim Morrison of Doors Fame. Well, I have been working on suggestions for a ghost show production crew, but when I saw this photo, it wigged me out a bit.

First, because I had a dream of Jim Morrison giving me voice lessons though the street of Las Angles, which was more about the power of music and what he got out of it. For my own purposes, I was studying the music of the Doors for my own purposes when I acquired the posthumous Doors album, "An American Prayer," which combines recorded music and interview, along with poetry that Jim had recorded before his death.

There was a poem with music that grabbed me, then the interview and that also sent a twinge through me as Jim and I had the same very young childhood experience; seeing death strike people at that early age. As with Jim, it was not only something that stuck with me, it produced profound experiences not unlike what Jim related. In fact many circumstances or the death(s) we witness had it similarities and differences, but much of what and how we thought.

To see both Darryl and Jim side by side was also a profound experience, as Darryl Read also produced poetry put to music with Ray Manzarek, the keyboardist for the Doors. It was Ray's music I first knew about. After seeing that, you bet a poem had had dropped from the ceiling of my cave and was making it out to the feast at the end of the night.

To be honest and forthright, the title, "Those Ghosts of Rock and Roll," was an adaption from the title of Darryl Read's song, "All the Ghosts of Rock and Roll." Quite honestly, I couldn't think a better, nor more appropriate title. I wasn't merely switching words about, but to me Darryl's perspective in the song, speaks of the spirit though him, the singer (musician.)

Darryl Read,(chorus from, "All the Ghosts of Rock and Roll.")
"I'm going where the rivers flow
I'm going somewhere you can't go.
Oh, yea!
I'm going where the action is
I'm going somewhere you never been before
I got all the ghosts of rock and roll
I got all the ghosts of rock and roll"

The second part is similar to this, but the theme changes to, "I'll take you were..."

This too added substantial to my thoughts in creating the poem, for a musicianâ?¢�¿
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mike K2 All rights reserved.
Mike K2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.