General Non-Fiction posted November 10, 2011


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Short story about my dog

You Can Just Call Me Jo

by justjo66

What's In A Name?

Our little dog Suzy passed away in the summer. She lived with us for a very long time and had grown very old. However, we missed her something awful. For Christmas my oldest son Shawn gave us a wonderful surprise. He drove up in our driveway, opened his truck door and out bounced a little black ball of fur. He was totally black except for an occasional white tuft on his belly and around his mouth. His breed was questionable. I believe part Cocker Spaniel and who knows what else. He had very short legs and a long body with bright brown eyes.

He needed a name. Because of his short legs we first started calling him "Shorty" then "JB" after my dad who was also very short. We tried several other names but nothing seemed to fit. He would not answer to any of the names we gave him. We would call him many times a day with the most current name but he did not come to any of the names we used. Was he just too young or stupid to know his name?

Ond day I was sitting in my porch swing just watching him play. Our old yellow lab, Beau, was lazily enjoying the fresh air and sunshine. The pup was tirelessly trying to arouse the old dog into a playful chase by biting Beau's tail. Suddenly I thought, "he likes to have a good time...we'll call him Good-Time Charlie". I tried the name out. Wow! he answered to it the first time. What had happened? He had not even noticed any of the other names.

Charlie has settled into the routine of our household for the past two years with a remarkable resemblance to his chosen name. I guess he knew his "real" name all along, we just had to discover it.

Everything in the whole earth has a name. What is your "real" name? Are you just waiting for someone to discover who you are?

Something to think about.

What's In A Name...the Rest of The Story

A lot of parents spend months before a child is born thinking about what they will name their child. They look in baby name books, try out various names on friends and relatives. They debate whether to name after grand dad or grandmother or maybe a favorite old Uncle Charlie. Some name their children after the months of the year or even the season's. I've known a few April's and Autumn's in my life. Some just can't resist naming all their children with the same letter. Even though I think it could get confusing with all the same initials. Hailey, Harley, Hannah and Holly just to name a few I've known. Lots of Juniors out there, too.

Frankly, I never used to like my name, just too plain, but after 63 years it has begun to grow on me. My first name is after my mother Jo. My middle name after an old Ernest Tubb traveling song my dad sang so much before I was born that my mother decided to give it to me. I love to travel. I don't like the middle name. I'm not telling my middle name, a girl has to have some secrets.

Anyway, have you ever wished you had another name? If you could name yourself...what would your name be?

Someday, the bible tells me that God will give me a new name written on a stone. I wonder what that name will be?

But for now...you can "just" call me Jo.

justjo66




Just thoughts. Thank you PW Ryan for the great picture.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. justjo66 All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
justjo66 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.