General Poetry posted July 11, 2011


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Another foodie poem. 5-7-5

Pho Goodness!

by Mike K2

Interesting tastes,
Vietnamese noodle soup.
Foodie fireworks!





Photograph copyright 2011, by Michael W. Kohlman, Baltimore, MD

Published in Poems of the World, Volume 17 #3. Spring 2013


Blame this one on Anthony Bourdain, the host of No Reservations. Just something I noticed was not only in a Vietnamese episode, but one or two others, he can not resist Pho, which is a Vietnamese noodle soup with a beef based stock and includes in its incorporation, onions, ginger, star anise and cinnamon. Beef appears to be the basic flavor, but the soup stocks can also be of chicken and pork. Rice noodles are also another component and the soup can be ordered with a variety of ingredients such as rare beef (which cooks in the soup), well done brisket or flank steak, tripe and tendon, not to mention Vietnamese beef meat balls. It is also garnished with scallions and cilantro. On the side to be added by customer is bean sprouts, lime, cilantro, a mint type leave and also fresh hot peppers. There are a variety of sauces to add on the side, such as crushed red peppers, Hoisin sauce, pepper sauce and even fish sauce.

It was a bit overpowering for my first try, and the only food experience I can compare with watching the first works for the first time. Even through out the day, it messed with me from remembering tastes, finding new ones and it seemed to perfume the skin.

I found two restaurants that serve pho and there are more in the Baltimore Area. The one that I photographed and tried was at the Mekong Delta Cafe', located in Baltimore city at 105 West Saratoga Street. The other I have yet to try is in Towson and is called Pho Dat Thanh. If Pho moves Tony, then he traveled with the wrong crowd that butchered what Baltimore food is all about.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mike K2 All rights reserved.
Mike K2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.