General Non-Fiction posted May 25, 2011 Chapters:  ...5 6 -7- 8... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Obama's speech vs. Netanyahu's.

A chapter in the book Mike's Moments

Israel? Country or Pawn.

by Mike K2

When I heard President Obama talk to Israel about what they must do for peace, I wondered what country I lived in, and after reading The Sun Editorial, "Obama's un-radical Israel Policy," (May 24, 2011) I wondered if the entire Sun paper's editorial staff lived in gated communities.

At this time, I feel that if Israel was to cede its borders to a Palestinian state, it is like protecting your house by locking the bedroom door; totally mindless of the open windows and unlocked entry doors. On practicality's bases, I don't believe this is possible.

All throughout my lifetime, I have seen Israel make one concession after the other in the spirit of peace and either those concessions appeared to be taken for weakness and capitalized upon, or the cease fires were broken by deliberate acts of terrorism and in my opinion, war. Even today, the Palestinians accused Israel of an act of war based on speech.

Would you lovingly give the halfway house of convicts next door a free rein to come into the house anytime they want, or permit illegal activities to persist without reprise? Then Israel shouldn't be expected to make the biggest concession after all of the smaller ones have not been met.

In regards to the Palestinian leaders, instead of invoking anger against Israel, they should be doing everything they can to stop violations upon Israel by the terrorists that they harbor and even make accords with. They should be showing the world that they are ready to be a sovereign country and capable of peaceful, self governance.

There are three types of borders; geographic, economic and cultural. It seems to me that it would be wise for the Palestinian's sake to actually ally with Israel so their people can gain much in the quality of life though mutual ideals.

While Israel is viewed as a Jewish state, I see it as one that is a steward of three major religions and has citizens from all of them. In territories controlled by Muslim countries, other religions are interfered with, or outright persecuted; traditionally or when territories are ceded.

I wonder why the emphasis is on the 1967 borders when historically, Jewish controlled territories are much vaster and actually go back to the times of the start of recorded history. The best proof is the fact that a mosque sits on the foundations of a Jewish temple.

It seems to me, Israel is the occupied territory, as they have been both conquered and occupied by many cultures including Arab groups. While many felt that Mr. Netanyahu's speech was blustery, I felt it was honest, sincerely and aptly delivered, and also based on reality that is backed up on a historical basis. It was also given to the American people as in talking to, not being talked down to like I often feel with the president.

I think the leaders from both Afghanistan and Pakistan should listen to it and learn from it as Mr. Netanyahu speaks as a statesman, and with the convictions our forefathers had in the creation of this county.

In fact, they have so much more at stake and need to be more like the Israeli leader and less like a reactionary one who simply wants to stay in power, as opposed to be the example and lead his countrymen to a better more equitable existence; not only in relation to the world, but on the personal level.

Yes, I feel the United States is Israel's best friend. But that doesn't mean that Israel should take our advice to their detriment, nor assume we will be there should they need us. In my life, I have found my personal history, be it successes of failures also coincides with the histories of nations.

There have been many times, friends of mine have said, "Hey if you need help kicking [butt] count me in. Funny, when they are needed, I have always found myself defending my household and family... Very much alone; I get that feeling with the present administration. In the scheme of things, I believe Israel knows what is best for their continued existence.





Submitted May, 25th at 2:15am, posted on FanStory just a short time later.

I wrote this and sent it to the Baltimore Sun as A Letter to the Editor instead of an op-ed, in response to the mentioned editorial.

Personally, the is not track record that the Palestinians would accommodate Israel in any way. I am working my butt of at work and hoping to get the next chapter to my biography out, decided to put off any op-ed writing, but this is just too important.

In writing this, I am hoping to get past the politics aspect toward a common sense one. Ironically, my best compliment I ever got was from a Palestinian who lives along the route I walk my dog. He asked me about how I felt about a Palestinian homeland and I mentioned that countries contain three borders; geographical, economic and cultural. Assuming I had the same soul and desire to improve my lot in life, I would want to be a part of Israel or at least ally my self with them.

He grunted and replied, "Maybe God will appreciate your honesty."

I feel for Israel as too many Muslim countries use them as an excuse for their own feelings or to take their people's minds off of the problems that they create. Personally, I feel that Israel should be held as an example of how to be.

My reference to friends offering their help, then backing out was based on my own reality. The result of their backing out and the authorities reluctance, resulted in another girl getting raped. My observations about the world of writing is... That's the way the world opperates as well. Something that keeps me motivated, in continuing with writing. Call it faith if you will.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mike K2 All rights reserved.
Mike K2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.