General Non-Fiction posted April 14, 2011 Chapters: Prologue -1- 2... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Not enough colors in the world to paint people!

A chapter in the book Mike's Moments

Multi-Colorful!

by Mike K2

My main source of TV news is the FOX channel. While I do like how they present their news and share many of their views, it is only to watch the news ticker that runs across the bottom to catch up on the latest.

By the three to five minutes it takes to run though, either something said by the hosts, or their guests have me deciding it's time to turn off the TV and start writing. I found it a totally shocking news cast when I found out the Crayola Crayon company has created a set of crayons titled, "Multi Cultural."

This was presented with opposing views and the company's stated logic behind this. Much like a kid I went online to the company's website and tried to learn more, but couldn't find anything besides a photograph, the fact it is an eight crayon set. Most distressing of all, I couldn't find the names of the colors.

Needless to say, I will have to go out and by a pack. I wonder if they are labeled as theatrical makeup, Light skin bases (1-6), medium bases (1-6), and dark skin bases (1-6). Seems to me the crayon assortment is already lacking.

Not to mention if I walked up to a person and asked them their skin base and number the most common answer would be, "Skin shades this!" -The exclamation mimicking the middle finger.


I also wonder if they use descriptive color terms of: White, Black, Hispanic, Native American, Asian and Other. At least that number approaches the colors in the, "Multicultural," crayon collection. But then, it isn't always color that prompts me to ask about a person's culture. It is usually accent and I get an answer like, "I'm a, Black-Hispanic islander." Oy vey!

Speaking of which, that is something all Jewish people can become irate over. For being included and labeled, or excluded as both could be perceived as anti-Semitic with the right mind; speaking of, what about the inclusion of all the world's religions? There could be sets for misunderstandings or true beliefs.

Legal and illegal immigrants, terrorists and despots; just as there are shades of skin tones, all people figure into culture whether negative or positively, within the accepted lines... Or not.

With black people, I have met thousands and talked with hundreds. While most would be preferred to be called black, I haven't found a single one person to totally fit in that particular category, whether proclaimed or stereotyped.

Likewise, my father was picked on to lead a German Band in a comedic skit for being Italian because of his tanned skin tone and dark hair. While the bandmaster joked to him, "I love picking on you Italians," he wasn't prepared for the answer my father gave him in fluent German.

"I am glad that you picked me because my father is the Burgermeister of Miesbach and leads his own band."

The flabbergasted band leader put his finger on his lips and whispered, "Shhhhhh."

I don't know if the Crayola Corporation created their multicultural crayon line for political correctness or to go for a new market. The guest commentator that supported the multicultural crayons stated that they create, "Teaching moments," of the child and when she was one, there was only one color marked skin tone.

James T. Harris, questioned the need for such a collection; as he believed had the same problem with skin shade, but it was left up to his creativity to not only figure out his skin color, but also that of anyone he wanted to color.

Mr. Harris smiled and asked if everyone wanted to know the crayon that is his skin shade. He was interrupted and then cut off due to time.

In fact, my observation with scores of kids that color is: they not only haven't had difficulties with who they want to color, they also make up imaginary races and cultures to fit their creativity. Many are diligent enough to do test swatches to determine that.

If I asked my dad what color would best represent me he'd say, "I don't know Mike, you have 96 colors to choose from; is there a color called, 'Stupid people?'"

To me, "Multicultural," or "Diversity," tends to actually work contrary to their goals and actually paint people into fewer groups they don't actually fit into; also tending to exclude many more people from identifying with various groups.

Many people who can't figure out how to color something, either with crayons or in real life, tend not to care and walk away. Other's that want to be more detailed, either become artists or poetic writers.





To me, cultures are best experienced, not defining them. All to often when you define a particular culture, people are included that shouldn't be and other's are now left out.

Adewpearl, a fellow member did what I couldn't do and found an add for the Multicultural set with a listing of the colors; they are listed in an ad for the crayons. The colors are black, sepia, peach, apricot, white, tan, mahogany and burnt sienna.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mike K2 All rights reserved.
Mike K2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.