General Poetry posted March 23, 2011


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Similarities and differences. Loose Rhyme / meter.

Of Men -Into Mice

by Mike K2

There are many similarities of mice and men,
both lives scurrying around like a cackling hen.
Totally consumed and lost in their respective day,
to get or take advantage of what comes their way.

Trying to appear bigger, flee or placate their foes,
establish their turf and live a life without woes.
Yet, the puny mouse has troubles that could befall;
man is huge and wise, so what demise could call?

When life is plentiful both gather and congregate;
mice's pitfall is man himself, to die in mass their fate.
But man's enemy is man, but it is like a mouse's predator;
a few here and there perish in human nature's predictor.

Men pride themselves on brains, power and technology;
simple pleasures, food and more contrivances then eyes can see.
But the earth itself in short instance can turn men into mice,
An earthquake, tsunami; destroy masses of life.

In the mouse's world, those that live flee the event;
to never return and continue the life that they were sent.
There is only living and for their brethren, no concern.
A mouse's soul is as short as his life, barely discerned.

But man returns to the scene of nature's crime;
giving others help and extending victim's remaining time.
Men turned into mice, give up their lives to prevent meltdown,
as a world mobilizes to help out and reestablish people's town.

Men and mice may suffer similar fates in their respective worlds,
but man's compassion and soul is what one should herald!




Photograph is considered public domain and was found on Wikipedia.com. This image was released by the United States with the ID 110314-N-OB360-003. It was taken by U.S. Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class Ben Farone.

Published in Poems Of The World Spring 2011 Volume 15 #3


"MIYAGI PREFECTURE, Japan (MArch 14, 2011) Naval Aircrewman 3rd Class Garret Krygier, assigned to the Chargers of Helicopter Anti-submarine squadron (HS) 14, surveys the destruction caused by a 9.0 magnitude earthquake and subsequent tsunami that struck northern Japan March 11 th.. HS-14 based at Naval Air Facility Atsugi, Japan, is conducting search and rescue missions in Miyagi Prefecture in support of Operation Tomodachi."

So often our lives are consumed with living in our own realms, much like mice. But that's where the similarity ends as we always try to help those involved in events that are much greater then we could produce ourselves. While top of the food chain in so many ways, we are still subject to great natural forces that can wipe out whole masses of people in seconds... No matter how hard we seek to predict or control. To me, nuclear energy is not only safe, it's astounding as the plant despite it's problems is slowly being brought under control. Even more astounding is the people that forget themselves and immediately work for the benefit of others, not worrying about personal risks.

I have been in a disaster area in West Virginia, that we were stopped for being a, "Collection of Maryland gawkers." But we mentioned we knew people in Franklin and he looked in the van and mistook our caving equipment for rescue gear and issued us a National Guard Pass. The town in the valley was utterly destroyed, with many houses cut in half. That was only one town in a Valley with twenty eight counties declared disaster areas.

Needless to say, we offered to help, but all of the townspeople we met, laughed and told us to enjoy ourselves as it would make them happy, knowing that people still enjoy their area.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mike K2 All rights reserved.
Mike K2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.