General Poetry posted January 7, 2011


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Sonnet and literary study of a figure.

Laura

by Mike K2

Walks a stately woman of her own mould,
in future fashions from spirited mind;
Victorian accents-show reserved shy.
Quiet novel pathos will be extolled;
afraid not, with her ideas she's resigned,
spying curious objects, her face sly.
Future's fearful bridged by traditions old
as contrivance recycles and designed
in to a new fashion to become plied.
Stunningly muted, worn dress becomes bold,
designer and fashion ... Exciting find
that reveals a wonderful spirit's spry.
Laura! An old soul in modern time fold;
inquiring, resourceful - gently kind.




You know what? Screw it, and ignore the notes below. For me poetry is not a game, and I should feel obliged to share the inspiration of my works. That's what these notes are for.

I was not only hoping to get Laura's approval, but also an image so that I could lay this out into a wonderful and more graphically fitting visual format to reinforce this poem.

Laura Flook is the same woman who fell into my poem, "Eerily Tall Woman-All Heart," as she is a former embalmer, model and now designs her own fashions, which is a story that is told in her appearance on, "Oddities." "Oddities," is a show about the goings on of the store, "Obscura," who sells strange and odd items, including medical.

With her first appearance, Laura was searching for an old mortician's table to show off her fashions. I sort of used her story for the imagery of a poem that I long wanted to pen. The notes of my demise when it came to tall women which are horribly humorous.

Since I used that story for my own, I felt obliged to pen a more fitting tribute to Laura, but really lacked that imagery. So fortunate for me, she made another appearance on a later show, and while only a couple of more minutes, I spied something that allowed me to work into this sonnet.

To view her fashions, you can search for, Lauraflook.com.



I simply want to leave this poem nude as if it meets her approval, it will be illustrated and reformatted.

I enjoyed this endeavor as all I have to go on is only several minutes of show time that she appeared in.

While photography and art has its own term, I prefer to call it a study of a figure.

To me, her fashions are unconventional and futuristic to my eye, but she incorporates Victorian elements. I attempted to research forms of Victorian poetry, and didn't find specific mention of that, but did find many themes. One writer from the era was Jules Vern and other poets how possessed a fear over the future. There was also a recording of Victorian life and it's traditions and mindsets. With my general opinion of Laura and her fashions, I saw the imagery from the Nautilus from Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea, and the combination of a new spirit with an old soul and the mixing of the traditional with the engineering of the modern.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mike K2 All rights reserved.
Mike K2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.