General Poetry posted August 15, 2010


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Conscience and amusing story about elections.

Who's Right(s)?

by Mike K2

One function of the Baltimore City State's
Attorney is protecting people's civil rights.
But cross her path come election time
and boy, see how she fights.

She's elected herself as the watchdog to
keep guarded, the Baltimore City Police.
Plus they become a handy tool to blame when
her prosecutions gets the criminal released.
~~~
We do our best to incarcerate, but we're
only part of a system, oh what a shame.
It is the shoddy cooperation of Baltimore
City's Police Department, yes, they’re to blame!

Hey! That's my opposition for the election!
Why upon the police commissioners lawn is his sign?
I can't believe it! He'd stoop so damned low, this is what
I mean about the police, I'll make him pay for his crime!

To think the police commissioner, that chief enforcer
has any individual rights involving the political.
I'll publically beat him down, challenge his rights,
question his dedication and accuse him of being tyrannical.

I’m going to make this mess, work against the one
opposing me, by saying he's the police's rubber stamp.
I've been here for fifteen years, and the people like me
as state's attorney, because I call myself, "Their champ!"

An appointed person like him has no right to speak,
what country does the commissioner think he lives in?
It was politicians that got him where he is anyway,
the convicted ex-mayor would have made him a has been.

I will publically hem and haw, obfuscate and stall,
scream and shout, and demand a special investigation.
Embarrass him, shame him, call him the problem
and make him pay for his political abomination.

Never mind, he took down my opposition's sign,
what a waste of my valuable public-serving time.
I'm not his enemy, and would have been more
understanding had he upon his lawn,
placed one of my signs.
 
Oh, by the way if the system fails you
and creates another needless innocent victim.
We will do our part to console and
rally around you, but please call him.
~~~




Dealing with crime is often thought of as a liberal or conservative issue, right or left, Democrat or Republican; but personally I feel it is simply one that needs to be dealt with and fixed.

In Maryland, ever since I can remember both Baltimore and Maryland is intensely Democratic who have remained in control of government with the exception of Republican Bob Ehrlich.

Baltimore has had a severe crime problem for decades, which very often is simply considered as a problem that is low priority, with serious systemic flaws, not only in place, but getting worse. Those who expose it or attempt to spark change are demonized and punished by the very people charged with the responsibility of protecting us.

The absolute dumbest statement in regards to criminals came from former Baltimore Mayor Kurt L. Schmoke, who during a news interview about the problem of crime stated, "Well what else do you expect them (drug dealers) to do, they're black and that is the only way they can make money." I started cussing my head off and almost threw something through the TV.

I found it amazing that Baltimore's first black mayor would say something so irresponsible when he should be pointing his citizens to a better and more productive existence. Over the years the failures of the system to protect the citizens and incarcerate criminals have been dismissed citing costs, placing the blame on failures of other agencies, bad cops and even racism or racist practices against black people.

The latter is often unfounded and irresponsible; which promotes distraction, non-cooperation and anger with confrontation with the police from the black people they are trying to protect. Very often it through the Baltimore City State's Attorney's office this occurs as Patricia Jessamy places herself at the helm of overseeing the police. This has resulted in numerous charges against police officers, without many convictions. Very often the claims are made by the people that were arrested.

Police Commissioner Frederick H. Bealefeld III (From the Baltimore City Police Website)

Bealefeld's grandfather, great grandfather and great uncles were on the police force. It was Bealfeld's dream to serve in the Baltimore City Police Department. He went to the academy immediately after high school in 1981. In the Western District he walked a foot patrol for five years and was promoted to sergeant in 1987 serving as such for thirteen years.

Bealefeld was promoted to lieutenant in October of 2000, with work split between the Southwestern District and the Criminal Investigations Division on the Homicide Unit. He was appointed Major and assigned to the Southern District in mid 2003. 2005-2007 brought him appointments to, Lieutenant Colonel, Colonel and Deputy Commissioner.

In July of 2007, Bealefeld was appointed Acting Police Commissioner by Mayor Shelia Dixon, and was nominated to fill that role in October of 2007. He has also been honored numerous times, including three Unit Citations and four Bronze Stars for his work in homicide and drug investigations, and for his work with other jurisdictions and agencies. He currently lives in Baltimore City with his wife and two children.

Bealefeld's Sign debacle.

In an August 6th Baltimore Sun article by Justin Fention, it is revealed that Commissioner Bealefeld has placed two signs in his yard for the Baltimore City State's Attorney, democratic opposition candidate Gregg Bernstein who is running against the current state's attorney, Patricia C. Jessamy who has held that office for fifteen years.

Bealefeld claims to be acting as a citizen and won't be making any campaign appearances for Bernstein or using any department resources. The article also notes the lukewarm relationship between the police and state's attorney's office.

A police department spokesman released a statement including, The state's attorney's job is to prosecute the bad guys and make sure they go to jail. We are working hard to do our job and we need a true partner in the state's attorney's office.

In the past, Patricia Jessamy has often touted her state's attorney's role of charging police officers who do wrong, including at an appearance, "When police do wrong, Pat Jessamy responds." She called Bealefeld's actions of placing Bernstein's signs up as, "blatantly partisian" " unprecedented" and "inappropriate;" also accusing Bealefeld of actively trying to recruit support for Bernstein while in uniform.

In an August 10th, Baltimore Sunp article, by Justin Fenton It was reported that Patricia Jessamy questioned the, "integrity and credibility," of Commissioner Bealefeld and called for an independent investigation into whether he solicited votes for her opponent in the Democratic primary while on duty. Bealefeld disagreed with Jessamy's characterization and denied he engaged in any inappropriate political activities.

Jessamy also alleged that Bealefeld was also support Bernstein to evade accountability for police misconduct; further insinuating that Bernstein would be a rubber stamp for the Police Department.

Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake defended Bealefeld and supported his right to put signs on his lawn; explaining that all individuals in her administration know not to engage in political activities while on duty. Jessamy sent a letter to Bealefeld that he accepts a special investigation of him, which Bealefeld replied, "If the state's attorney wishes to file some type of complaint, like any citizen, may certainly do so with the appropriate administrative agency."

During this period on the Ron Smith Show with WBAL Radio, some people came forth with claims that Commissioner Bealefeld was engaging on political activity while on duty. Most were politicians and supporting Patricia Jessamy, while others who were there disputed the claim, stating that he only pointed Bernstein out during a community event.

Other topics discussed were considerations whether or not Commissioner Bealefeld should be considered always on duty, or if he had any personal civil rights as an individual because of his position. His judgment was also a topic of conversation, since is not only is appointed by politicians, but has to work with them as well.

August 11th, in another Baltimore sun article written by Justin Fenton and Julie Scharper, it was reported that Bealefeld had taken down the Bernstein signs on his lawn as Bealefeld felt they had became too much a distraction; and the need to remain focused on Baltimore's crime fight. He also stated, "The city needs and demands that we stay focused."

Chiming in surprisingly was former Mayor Dixon, who was convicted of white collar crime offenses while in office and resigned because of it, making a plea agreement to avoid jail time and further prosecution. She stated that she is openly supporting the reelection of Patricia Jessamy, and felt that Bealefeld acted inappropriately and would have asked that he step down. Conversely, the present Mayor, Stephanie Rawlings-Blake when asked about the appropriateness of Bealefeld posting signs for Bernstein said, "This is supposed to be a country based on free speech."

In an August 12th article written by Justin Fenton and published by the Baltimore Sun, it was mentioned that Patricia Jessamy has called off her request to investigate Bealefeld, a day after he removed the Bernstein signs.

-It is my opinion that Patricia Jessamy not only misused her weight in the state's attorney's office in regards to her opponent and influencing her reelection, she violated Commissioner Bealefeld's civil rights in the process. Since her statements came out during the day, she was on the job as well.

This is not the only time the Baltimore City State's Attorney office has misused itself to quiet a person who had a conflicting or dissenting opinion of criminal justice, the state's attorney's office or the courts. I have a personal example of this occurring in the past, which involved my father. I believe this occurred with Patricia Jessamy's predecessor, Stewart Simms.

My father started working in Juvenile Services in the seventies and he was an ardent liberal and Democrat at the time. His function was the supervision of male youth offenders and over a period of years, he saw the flaws in the system and attempted prompt changes that will improve the agency and its functioning.

The Department of Juvenile Services simply dismissed his reconditions and suggestions, so he decided to work with the political system and elected officials. At first supporting Democrats. However he soon felt that they were purposefully part of the problem.

The agency in his opinion was continuing to decline as they dropped the part of their program to aid the, Child in need of assistance, (CINA); then they closed more institutions to house the more violent offenders. He now felt that his agency was not functioning in protecting society from dangerous criminals, be it youth or adult. That is when he not only switched to the Republican party, but joined many groups related to crime as well.

He was outspoken and attempted to have his opinions published in letters to the editor or the Baltimore Sun, attempted to give information to reporters to cover his agency, collected information from every state on successful ways of dealing with juvenile crime and assembled it, even going on talk radio (WCBM) as a private person.

Needless to say, he sacrificed his personal career with the Juvenile Services agency, who would never promote him, it caused clashes with other agencies and functions related to juvenile crime. It was a shock that I came home and he informed me that he was banned from the Circuit Courthouse of Baltimore city. He said that he was told he threatened the life of an assistant state's attorney.

He explained that she said that she had told the court that he threatened her life and saying, "I have a .38 at home." Dad was livid as he swore that he never made any personal threats. He had no idea who banned him from the courthouse, but believe a judge was responsible and in order to be able to return to the courthouse to do his job, had to be evaluated and treated by a psychiatrist.

This was at a time, we were caring for my mother at home, and who suffered severe brain damage as a result of a cardiac arrest in our home. This was one of the rare times my father asked me for advice, so given the stress he was under, I told him to go with the flow and do what the courts and his supervisor said.

He paid $750.00 (out of pocket) and had an initial appointment with a psychiatrist who schedule him of $1,500 worth of tests. I started thinking about how he was treated. If the claim was substantial, the state's attorney office would have no problem having the police investigate and filing formal charges.

Unlike criminals and his youthful offenders, the charges weren't presented in a way in which he could refute them with those that accused him. So to speak, this was done without due process. "I have a .38 at home," somehow stuck in my mind and I remembered the conversation and the context it was in.

A couple of months before, he told an altercation with a female state's attorney who demanded to know why he is so harsh on the offenders under his care. He cited two reasons, public safety and the fact that if they make things hard for the offender now, it could get him to not only change his ways, but quite possibly save his life.

She disagreed and the altercation continued, and my father concluded with, "It's all fine and good in the city, but the county people are less willing to be victims. If one of these delinquents comes out in the county and enters my house, they will find that I have a .38 at home."

It also occurred to me that the psychiatrist is a tactic that they employ in the communist and socialist counties, mainly for political reasons. My dad's constitutional rights and due process were definitely violated.

As soon as I saw my father next, I advised him to immediately report this to the FBI and Justice Department, especially since this involved collusion with Baltimore City, the state of Maryland and the judicial branch of government.

He didn't do what I wanted and instead to his agency and brought in his union. Almost instantaneously, his standing with his job was restored, but he was still not permitted to enter the Baltimore City Circuit Courthouse. The people from his agency were transferred with very long commutes to offices across the state and dad had to agree not to do any further actions. Additionally, Juvenile services agreed to remove the incident from his employment file; a promise they later broke. He retired after 25 years.

-Another facet with the Baltimore City State's Attorney office is while Patricia Jessamy claims to be needed to police the police, often times the charges that is placed on, "bad," police officers end without conviction. Often when cornered about a problem in criminal justice that stems from the state's attorney office, they place the blame for their failure on the police.

Yet when flaws of the state's attorney's office are revealed, such as the stabbing death of Steven Pitcairn draws attention to their office, they frequently blame the judges and police. Pitcairn was a medical researcher at Johns Hopkins with aspirations of becoming a major breast cancer researcher, he was stabbed during a robbery after he handed his wallet over by John Alexander Wagner, who had a long criminal record with little jail time.

In addition to the robbery being heard by his mother, who Pitcairn was on the cell phone with had racial overtones as Wagner told a person that he and his girl friend had, "robbed," and "hurt a white boy." He had a long record of crime convictions, with only time served awaiting trial counting as time served. He was also cited for numerous parole violations.

Of the comments in such high profile cases are to paraphrase, "The state's attorney office prosecutes the crime, but the arrests are made by uniformed police officers who don't properly investigate the crime." They have also stated that they keep victims informed. Both of those notions are incorrect and again I have personal experiences as proof.

On December 17, 2008 I found myself in an armed robbery at a liquor store across the street from work. He was witnessed by several people jumping the counter and displaying a gun, as we had to flee the store, that robber was caught on tape. Ironically a police officer was doing surveillance just before the liquor store and saw us flee.

He pursued me and the coworker thinking that we were the robbers, and just as he was about to deal with me, the robber ran past me, gun in hand so I was able to point him out and he was captured a hundred feet away. The robber was also investigated by the robber. As a willing witness, the city assistant state's attorney promised to keep me apprised of every stage of the process, as he did the liquor store owner.

We were notified of the hearing to move the robber from district court to the circuit court system, but I was never notified of anything else again. I found out months later that the liquor store owner was notified and told he was convicted and sentenced to four years in jail.

I had a bad feeling that I had then recently saw him on the streets. I researched the case and found out that all but the time served awaiting trial was suspended and he had a prior conviction for drugs with a one year suspended sentence. Frequently these cases are put on a STET docket which means that if they commit another crime in a certain time period, they will not only be forced to serve the time for a new crime committed, but also the crime that was on STET. What a lie!

-I blame my father for my knowledge and experience in all such matters, for on his death bed he wanted me to promise to take up his cause of juvenile crime and criminal justice. I refused citing family, time and finances; he then said, "Well then, I wish it on you."

It was only a few weeks later my step daughter took to running away from home, blaming me as the reason. It wasn't very long that I saw the failures my father described in every part of the juvenile justice system.

At first, the police took her word so basically what they did removed all any authority I had with the household, while some officers insinuated I wasn't responsibly doing my job as a parent. Others resented on us calling them to report the run aways, though we would be considered responsible for their behavior if we didn't.

I was more concerned about her dangerous activities and we had to actively track her down, and the police were resentful at us involving them. With individual officers, instead of placing formal complaints, I off the record went to the watch commander.

I only called Internal Affairs in Baltimore county only once. He wanted to know the officer I was complaining about and I told him the precinct who parked my wife in and stood at the windows watching her get herself out. He asked me if I wanted to make a complaint and I responded, "I'm telling you this so the department gets things under control, before I make a formal complaint. When I do, I will back it up with video that will be aired on the news first."

I understood, the police officers behaviors and frustrations, but didn't have sympathy for them as they took them out on me. They basically were the scribes who filled out the numbers of complaints that basically went nowhere in the juvenile justice system. It would take an event of monstrous proportions to involve them.

My wife had called me into the house stating that the step daughter hit her, I immediately came in and the step-daughter challenged me. Having enough of that, I continued to stay on her and meet her challenges, trapping her in her bed room. She broke free and saying she is going to kill me, ran to get my fourteen inch butcher knife.

I prevented her the first time, so I simply played with her to keep her away. She went for it a second time and thinking she had it, I flattened her. The difference between her and I was, she was immediately able to get up afterwards, where I would be dead.

This finally prompted a criminal complaint from the police, and finally entered the juvenile services administration. It took an inordinate amount of time to process the complaint and get an intake hearing. He immediately bumped it to the state's attorney and the court system, who took a larger amount of time to process.

I had another friend in the Juvenile Services Administration who assured me that nothing is going to happen as they don't have any placement beds and I am still alive. As he put it, "They will fix things so she walks."

The trial was held by a master and I was first to testify. You just aren't allowed to tell the complete story of the incident; instead you answer the questions given to you by the prosecutor and the person's defense. What immediately caught my attention from the witness stand was the prosecutor, public defender and the judge, deciding how to proceed.

I was sworn in with the other and added, "So help me God," to with the judge, prosecutor, and public defender grimaced and scoffed. I answered the questions about how I became involved, the incident with the knife, and then asked about the confrontation that occurred in her room. When it was revealed I had confronted her, the case was dismissed and she was declared non-delinquent because I incited her.

That's the courts logic, I yelled at her so she could kill me with a knife. Missing from the testimony was the fact that as soon as I walked in the door, she challenged me in the same manner. There was no evidence such as the 911 tape entered into the trial.

I was threatened three to four times a week, from basically everybody. Upset that her daughter ran away again, I was blamed, yet I had to help to search for her. She used me as an excuse to get people to take her in and they too threatened me. They were also shocked when I told them to tell it to the police, which I did so further precedent to my step daughter could be affixed.

Needless to say, her friends not only threatened me, they were very capable in carrying them out. One day, I was threatened to be burned out by a drug dealer, which I think I got the message across to when he ended the call with yelling, "MF-er," and throwing his cell phone up against the wall. The next day, the step-daughter came home and informed me that I as her trouble will soon be over, "Elizabeth's dad's going to put you into the system and when he serves the warrant, he's going to shoot you and put one of his illegal guns on you." Elizabeth's mom was helping my step-daughter run away and her day was a Baltimore County Sheriff.

He wasn't hard to deal with as I was my mother's guardian and was headed to the courthouse the next day. I just included in my trip, a walk to the Sheriff's office and told him my story. He concluded with, "You know, if you make a formal complaint, we can find out who Elizabeth's dad is."

"Do you really want me to do that?"

"Well, it would be a headache, but I would understand."

"No, let's just handle this informally.

That didn't keep me with having a little fun with this in the clerk's office. Just before I exited, I went to the bathroom and two sheriffs walked in on me and noted that I had given them the meanest look they ever had gotten. I laughed and asked, "Are either one of you Elizabeth's dad?"

They said, "No" and wanted to know what that was about. I told them, they'll find out tomorrow.

Notice I haven't mentioned the city police with this, and yes they had a couple dealings with her as well. But the officer saw something that he didn't like, got out of his car, inquired and took her brass knuckles away, saying, "Now get your ass back into the county before I get pissed off!"

No it wasn't done by the book, but it took care of the immediate threat. It was also an immediate punishment for her indiscretion. When she started dealing with the city officers, she immediately started thinking ahead, became more responsible and no longer wished to cause problems.

The county police on the other hand, real Barney Fifes. Just two weeks earlier, she ran away so I went through her room and cataloged her weapons and their placement. When the officer came to take the report, I asked that he remove them from the property; which he refused to do citing her constitutional rights. I then said, "Well I'm the property owner and have no problem opening her door and getting them for you."

He stuck his finger in my face and said, "You do that, you're going to jail!" I should have. In other cases, every time I found a punishment that would hamper her, I was threatened with arrest, even if I had changed the lock on her bedroom door so one of us had to open it.

Just as my father said, only the person themselves decide to change. She went into Job Corp and mentioned, they say the same things that I had.

In my critical opinion, the Baltimore Police Department, does do its job to the best of its ability; but crime is so rampant, that they can only realistically react when crime affects others. I tend to ignore what I see, but when I see innocent people affected or the criminal try to run the streets, I then report it to the police. Free of charge. Having to walk everywhere that I go, it is paramont to my safety.

-Crime in Baltimore City is a lost cause in many respects. When I talk about it to individuals, one of the more frequent comments is, "We have enough black people in jail."

To which I reply, "Are they serving sentences for crime that they did?" That usually stops the conversation and I mention the fact that most victims of crime are black themselves, and contribute to society. I plainly say it, "Do you want a community of black criminals who don't contribute to society or do you want a community with productive people adding to it?"

I am tired of various crime issues becoming racial ones, which is done to take people's minds off of the agencies failures that severely contribute to the demise of public safety. Often when a black person is stopped and ID-ed by a police officer, they are incensed and argue with him, creating a scene.

One time a black person walked up with me and yelled in my face, "Bet yer lucky to be a white person!"

Amused, I asked, "How so?"

"Because you aren't being stopped by the police all the time, getting hassled."

He was shocked and a bit disbelieving to be informed that in the last two weeks, between the city and county police, I was stopped ten times. I cited all of the reasons and told him, while it is an irritation I admire the job they do and have a slow blow fuse about it. "They don't stop you without a reason."

I quickly found out the problem, he got made and in their face, which further gave the police suspicion about them. I gave him some tips on dealing with them and told him, if he feels bothered by an officer, don't deal with it there, but let the watch commander know. That way, the command knows the trends of how the officers operate. Later he thanked me and said things with him and the police are much better.

-Commissioner Bealefeld disappointed me, as he took down the signs. If I was him, there would be pictures of my, "picket," of Bernstein signs, plus I would be making appearances for his benefit; of course with a name tag of, "Bealefeld - Unitded State's Citizen." On top of that, I would use the publicity to expose the flaws in the system and the various departments, agencies and branches. On top of that I would try to effect the change that is necessary for the people of Baltimore in their mindset and sense of responsibility that has created this problem.

Plus have some good old fun with Patricia Jessamy by throwing back many of the accusations and pejoratives she has levied on the police department. If asked about his support for Berstein, I would say, "Well Resigned Mayor Dixon supports Jessamy, I guess she believes that Jessamy is a good deal."

While a position like police commissioner is considered one which you're on duty 24/7. There is personal time to act as an individual and I would be highly incensed at the politicians who say I don't have the rights of a regular person, but they freely use their positions as elected people to promote each other and hide the responsibilities in their office that they are not taking."

Commissioner not only has the right to vote, but to serve that cause. There is a reason that all the people in the United States have the right to decent written into the constitution. It is not only his right, but his responsibility to let others know when he believes his area of governance, can't meet its responsibility because other areas aren't permitting this to occur. Yes, it is born with a high personal cost, but it falls on all of us to be willing to take that responsibility in order so that this nation and IT'S GOVERNING PRINCIPLES remain intact for it's citizens.

Least, all fall like those in Baltimore as innocent citizens of violent crime for the sake of reelection bids and the continence of perpetually failing systems. Most people don't go back to bad mechanics twice.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mike K2 All rights reserved.
Mike K2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.