Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted April 15, 2010 Chapters:  ...39 40 -41- 42... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
a modified, contemporary triolet

A chapter in the book Triolets: Traditional and Modified

Who Listens to the Whippoorwill

by adewpearl


Who listens to the whippoorwill
has surely heard God's holy word
within each note and tuneful trill
sung by the lyric whippoorwill
are sounds to make a sore heart still
as joy in all creation's stirred;
Who listens to the whippoorwill
has surely heard God's holy word.




Recognized


The triolet is a French repeating form that originated in France in the Middle Ages. It consists of eight lines in iambic meter with a rhyme scheme of ABaAabAB. The capitalized A lines are identical in traditional triolets as are the capitalized B lines. I have modified the fourth line in this modern version.
If you have never heard the song of the whippoorwill, go to
http://www.soundboard.com/sb/Whippoorwill_sounds.aspx. There you can hear 10 short recordings.
For some reason the whippoorwill has come to be regarded as a harbinger of death in legend and in the horror stories of H.P. Lovecraft and Stephen King, and its song is characterized as sad in such standards as Hank Williams' "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry." I just don't get it, which is why I've recommended a site where you can hear variations of the song and decide for yourself. I think it's a strong, upbeat, beautiful song.
The beautiful illustration by jgrace is entitled Solar Symphony and captures the beauty of music for me.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. adewpearl All rights reserved.
adewpearl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.