Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted March 21, 2010 Chapters: 3 4 -5- 6... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
reflections in cinquain form

A chapter in the book cinquains

Seek and Ye Might Find

by adewpearl

Write a traditional cinquain Contest Winner 

Grabbing
for the brass ring
can yield a high return -
my fingers clasped but only caught
iron.



Writing Prompt
A cinquain is a five line poem with a syllabic count of 2/4/6/8/2. There is a turn at the last line or immediately before it. The poem should be titled and the title should work in as part of the poem. Only poems of five lines allowed; no multiple stanzas cinquains. Iambic meter preferred, but not required. No pictures, please; create the picture with your poem.

Write a traditional cinquain
Contest Winner

Recognized


Carousels in the late 19th and early 20th Centuries often featured a chance for those sitting on the outside circle to reach out and grab a ring. Most of the rings were iron, but at least one was brass. If a lucky person grabbed a brass ring, he or she could exchange it for a prize. This is the origin of the phrase, Grab for the brass ring, which means to live life to the fullest.

The cinquain is a poem with syllable count of 2/4/6/8/2. In the tradition of Adelaide Crapsey, who originated the form in the 19th Century, it often features a downward turn in the final or penultimate line. There is always a title, which should act as a significant sixth line.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. adewpearl All rights reserved.
adewpearl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.