Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted March 9, 2010 Chapters: 1 2 -3- 4... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
a reflective octogram

A chapter in the book Octograms

One Bridge to Cross

by adewpearl


What great divide keeps "them" from us?
one bridge to cross
What breaks the bond creating trust
that we have lost?
When we have friendship to extend,
why is our instinct to defend,
to fear "their" gain will be our loss?
one bridge to cross

When we have feasts, why is a crust
all we will toss?
When we have warmth, how is it just
to offer frost?
What dark suspicions, bleak and cold
lurk in our minds as we withhold
the lifeline that we should have tossed?
one bridge to cross




Recognized


The octogram is a poetic form created last year by Fanstorian Sally Yocom. It consists of two octets, both with a syllable count of 8/4/8/4/8/8/8/4. The rhyme scheme is ababccbb ababddbb.
In my freshman year in college in 1969, I was privileged to take a sociology course with Peter I. Rose, who published in 1964 an insightful look at race relations entitled They and We. In 2006 the sixth edition of this important study was published. Professor Rose was one of those teachers who totally inspired me; because of him I majored in sociology. While his book focuses on race relations and how we separate ourselves from other races out of fear, those same fears are what separate classes, religions, countries. My poem is just pondering.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. adewpearl All rights reserved.
adewpearl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.