Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted January 12, 2010 Chapters:  ...5 6 -7- 8... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
a reflective octogram

A chapter in the book Octograms

With Deep Bass Tone

by adewpearl


His recitations stirred my soul
with deep bass tone.
A poet's words in his control
became his own.
Though Whittier wrote, of blinding snow,
of burning "hearthfire's ruddy glow,"
my father made the squall's gusts moan
with deep bass tone.

As throbbing north winds took their toll,
I heard them groan,
my desolation not consoled
till they had blown
their final blast and fire blazed
to warm the snowbound family's days.
Through Daddy's voice, their comfort shown
with deep bass tone.




Recognized


In 1865 John Greenlief Whittier wrote his famous story poem, "Snowbound." In the 1950's my father brought this poem and others to life for me when he would recite them. Born in 1909, he went to school in an era when children were taught to memorize and recite poetry, and it stuck with him.
He had the most amazing deep voice perfect for storytelling, and he held me spellbound. I could imagine every detail of this blizzard that held a family snowbound for a week, from the hazards of the storm to the joys of the time they spent together in joint captivity. Daddy's voice made the winds rage and then made the joys of their family gathering delightful. This is how I came to love poetry, because of classic poems he shared with me that held me captivated.
A year or more ago I posted a poem on this same subject, "When My Father's Voice Made Poetry Mine," but I wanted to revisit it using the octogram form.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. adewpearl All rights reserved.
adewpearl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.