Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted December 28, 2009 Chapters:  ...5 6 -7- 8... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
a reflective cinquain

A chapter in the book cinquains

The New Years Blues

by adewpearl


No bang
upon a pan
No bite of sauerkraut
No black-eyed peas will keep my bad
luck out.




Recognized


The cinquain is a five line poem with syllable count of 2/4/6/8/2. In the traditional form devised by Adelaide Crapsey, there is a downward turn in the fourth or fifth line. Also in the tradition of Crapsey, the title is considered a significant sixth line.
There are MANY superstitions associated with New Year's Eve and New Year's Day - all about warding off evil spirits and bad luck or assuring prosperity and good luck. Banging pots and pans at midnight is one I first learned from Italian-American neighbors, but when I looked it up it also appears to be popular in many places from Iran to Scandinavia. While eating cabbage with ham is a more common food tradition, I live near Pennsylvania Dutch country where pork and sauerkraut are considered mandatory to insure good luck for the new year. Black-eyed peas and ham hocks are a Southern tradition.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. adewpearl All rights reserved.
adewpearl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.