Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted November 30, 2009 Chapters: 3 4 -5- 6... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
a reflective rondeau

A chapter in the book rondels and rondeaus

Sweet Honey Flows

by adewpearl

Biblically Inspired VIII (ate) Contest Winner 
Sweet honey flows from rocks once dry
for those who don't God's word defy,
and from His fields the finest wheat
is harvested so faithful eat
upon His bountiful supply.

But I have kept the faith, I cry,
yet have not wheat to satisfy,
and still I hear the Psalm repeat,
sweet honey flows.

It has to be God's words imply
a food and drink one cannot buy,
sustaining us against defeat
of hope, which through Him won't retreat.
His promise I cannot deny,
sweet honey flows.




Biblically Inspired VIII (ate)
Contest Winner

Recognized


This poem is inspired by Psalm 81: 10-16
I am the Lord your God, who brought you up out of the land of Egypt. Open your mouth wide and I will fill it.
But my people did not listen to my voice; Israel would have none of me.
So I gave them over to their stubborn hearts, to follow their own counsels.
Oh that my people would listen to me, that Israel would walk in my ways!
I would soon subdue their enemies and turn my hand against their foes.
Those who hate the Lord would cringe toward him, and their fate would last forever.
I would feed you with the finest of wheat, and with honey from the rock I would satisfy you.

I believe some new age philosophies and churches teach the gospel of prosperity because they have gotten Biblical passages like this all wrong. They teach material goods will come to those who are faithful and who pray for them or material success and goods will come to those who direct their psychic energy toward their accumulation. But was God really telling us that he will supply riches and endless wheat and honey to those who follow His word while he will impoverish those who defy him? I think not. Many are blessed who are not materially wealthy, who appear not to have a place at the table, at least a table set with fine china and silver. At the same time, many who host million dollar parties filled with caviar and champagne have earned the money to pay for those supplies in less than honorable ways, nor do they share their wealth with those in need. Surely it was not God's message that we only need search for those who have much to find those who have pleased Him. The wheat and honey he promised can not, the way I see it, be literally interpreted.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. adewpearl All rights reserved.
adewpearl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.