General Non-Fiction posted November 21, 2009


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
More observational then political.

Sexual Signals and Sarah Palin

by Mike K2

Considering my work schedule, there aren't many entertainment options except the radio. I tune into AM talk radio as I also want to catch the news. The talk radio show hosts can say things or make claims that make my jaw drop, but what makes my head spin is that they always supply the sound-bite of the original statement that prompted the host's response.

I honestly didn't believe Mark Levin, the show's host when he ranted against someone talking about Sarah Palin's sexual signals. The sound-bite that was played was from a Judy Woodruff interview, with participants commenting about Sarah Palin's book, "Going Rouge."

National Review Contributing Editor, David Frum said that Palin, "got into a position of leadership by sending very powerful sexual signals." He also attributed that she was more popular with men then women because of it and felt that she brought a lot of that type of attention on herself.

I was jokingly horrified with myself and had to immediately determine if Sarah Palin's sexual signals had somehow influenced me. Well, I do find her attractive, but that is about it; I determined that any further sexual signals were moderated by the fact that she is much more proficient in the use of firearms then I am.

I then asked myself if they influenced other people, especially men, so I explored the reasons that the people told me that they voted for the McCain/Palin ticket. Talk of Sarah Palin's sexiness or her body didn't come up. But...

A long time friend and food delivery person was one time very excited that he found on the Internet, a photograph of Sarah Palin in a bikini and wanted to show me it, to see if I believed it was her. The next day he brought it in for my analysis and opinion.

Now, I could have gotten out the vernier calipers, 6 and 12x loupes with their various measuring reticules, proportion wheel, graphic arts calculator and use my various knowledge of art, photography and anatomy in order to come to a conclusion. Easily accomplished with the thousands of other images of the real Sarah Palin. Instead I took one look at the photograph and said that I didn't believe that it was Sarah Palin at all.

He asked me why I thought that and I replied, "Well it looks like the gun she is holding is a Crossman American Classic air rifle and I don't think that she'd be walking around with one, since she enjoys shooting high powered rifles." That night I hit the internet and found gobs of that image on various sites. Since then, then the actual photograph has surfaced and it was proven a PhotoShop deal.

I asked my friend if he was voting for her because of her looks and he said that she speaks about many issues the way he feels about them. Many people actually expressed a feeling that they preferred her over McCain. However, I found it disturbing that more emphasis was now being placed on the vice presidential candidates than the presidential ones.

Since I live in Maryland and I do tend to vote Republican I have seen this at work locally. One technique is that the Democratic candidate immediately states that he is a victim of the Republicans' dirty campaigning and won't be a party to this, as he also demands a pledge from the Republican candidate not to partake in it. The Republican all too often goes a long with this and that agreement is taken as an acknowledgement that he was involved with dirty campaigning. Then every time the Republican makes an argument or tries to make a point about the other's record or view, the other candidate immediately states that he is once again, "Dirty Campaigning." On top of that it is open season on the Republican candidate from not only the other's campaign, but the media, who supports the Democratic candidate.

With the last election it was the Republican Governor against a challenging Democratic Governor and mayor of Baltimore, Martin O'Malley. The day before the election a man came up to me and said, "You have to read this, if Governeor Ehrlich is reelected he is not only going to destroy the state, he's going to flood it with illegal immigrants!"

I read it and knowing that Governor Ehrlich was not only trying to control the illegal immigration problem, every point that was attributed to Govern Ehrlich was actually Martin O'Mally's directly attributable statement. I told him this is pure bull shit and he said, "I'd read it again, because this states quite clearly what Ehrlic says. He wasn't happy when I told him that I plan to make a complaint of election fraud. Now multiply this by a hundred such items and no media that will let you counterpoint anything.

That is my opinion of Sarah Palin's problems and I have a theory about why things have been so harsh for Sarah. Because McCain is a war hero and veteran, they really couldn't use this type of dirty pool on him, because people would recognize the injustice and it would cause a backlash and reversal in the election. That was why it was important to shift the emphasis to the vice presidential candidates.

In reference to Sarah Palin, the phrases, "Open Season" and "Fair Game," really do seem to apply. It is a combination of observations that lead me to believe this: 1) They type of comments being made (without proof or follow up.) 2) The fact that it seems a pleasure in many people to join in with comtempt, glee and lack of respect. 3) There is no outcry on her behalf or even a principle of the morality of it all.

I was at a public function and made a light hearted sexuality based comment, that prompted any woman within ear shot to snap their heads and give me a, "What the hell!" look. Catch it I did, I was publically chided by those women and by others who heard it second hand and admonished me. At this point, the only thing I could do was attempt to explain or apologize. I was picked on the rest of the night. The few that were thoughtful enough, inquired and themselves had a good laugh. Talk about a strange way to get hugs.

I don't know of any men hanging images of Sarah Palin on their wall, carrying pictures of her in their wallets; or, as if she is a movie star, talking about their fantasies for her. In fact if Sarah is sending sexual signals, perhaps it is the women that have picked them up. I have seen that before at the social before a orchestral concert at Baltimore's Myerhoff Symphony Hall.

I have heard many such comments with Sarah Palin as well. The most common is that Sarah should stay out of politics and stick with being a beauty queen. I got in trouble when I said that she should do both if she has the capability. She even got a, "What makes her think that she can run this country."

I answered, "Well she is the Governor of the State of Alaska and runs things there." In this case, now it wasn't Alaska that wasn't getting proper respect as the woman described it in a what that Alaska was the size of Rhode Island, but with only a couple of people in it. Not an expanse with interesting problems due to its size and geography; that also has natural resources and industry that needs innovative ways to manage as problems tend to pop up with them. Perhaps the dynamics of Alaska can lend experience in managing the nation's as they develop.

Imagine being in a lobby with fur clad, expensive dressed and ornately jeweled women. A woman that was dressed the same, but a bit younger and very glamorous caught many disparaging comments from the other women such as; "Who in the hell does she think she is? I bet that she sleeps for her jewelry," or comments about how dumb her husband is. I admit that I had to snoop a bit and she did married well, she was also a professional woman and earned the success that she had. I believe that Sarah is a victim of this as well.

There was another politician that had similar types of media exposure and contempt, Ronald Reagan, who I felt carefully picked his battles. I think that what added to his success was he was both open and honest and wasn't afraid of dropping things personally in the laps of the American people, which I consider not only an act of faith, but also what I personally do. He did to the best of his abilities; on what he thought was right and didn't fear media response. I didn't outright come to this conclusion, but with information provided by The Michael Reagan Show and what Reagan's friends have stated about his qualities.

Personally, I find Sarah Palin to be an upfront individual and with sexuality, she can play along to an extent, but will fight if she believes that someone crosses the line. I have seen many contentions within ranks of conservatives and Republicans that feel that she isn't right for the Republican Party or in its desired direction. But the Republicans aren't well served by making the same kneejerk and disrespectful comments that others have made.

I see for the good of the country that she continues on the course that she has confidently chosen for herself and in the end, she will not only be a good example for us, but an inspiration as well. The ability to do this is what I appreciate most about living in the United States of America.

There are times that I have paid a price for attempting to turn minds, but it is worth it and I enjoy that when I can. I don't seem to have the ability to turn heads...





The photograph is a altered copy and not Sarah Palin that is considered to be public domain on the Internet.

While I do posses Sarah Palin's book, "Going Rogue," I haven't started reading it yet. I have heard her on a few interviews and enjoyed them. In a sense, she earned my interest as from time to time, I have been in situations similar to hers in the microcosm of my life. I didn't start getting a handle on things until, I learned more about Ronald Reagan and following the example of my father, simply by having the courage of getting it out there. Definitely an act of faith. While very often it doesn't change minds or temperaments, one can gain a lot of respect and support.

I sort of withheld my political views on FanStory, but the demonetization of Sarah Palin holds concerns with me. I really hadn't planned on writing about her, but this is the one example that feel into my lap that I felt that I had to comment on.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mike K2 All rights reserved.
Mike K2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.