General Poetry posted November 15, 2009 Chapters:  ...5 6 -7- 8... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Oysters on the Half Shell, A Baltimore Love

A chapter in the book Dining Without, Tony

On The Half Shell

by Mike K2




Recognized


Poem, graphics and the top two photographs are copyright 2009 by Michael W. Kohlman and the bottom photograph appears courtesy of Bill Adams Photography who was nice enough to take a photograph with my camera.

Boy, was this poem an interesting one to work out with its photography and graphics; not to mention the difficulties in trying to describe the sensations and taste that go far back to the first people here. I didn't really appreciate the breadth and width of what the bay offered until I saw a color plate in the World Book, Year Book showing the Nanticoke Indians harvesting shellfish.

The Lexington Market was established in 1792 on the original land donated by General John Eager Howard, with the market named after the Battle of Lexington and started out with the vendors setting up in the streets. It wasn't until 1803 that a shed for the vendors was actually erected. Due to a six alarm fire in March of 1949 that a more permanent structure was erected and renovated at times. Presently it houses 140 merchants selling; meat, seafood, produce, as well prepared foods and entertainment. In addition of being a local hub of activity, it is also an international tourist attraction.

J.W. Faidley is a major vendor there and was founded in 1886. The sell the freshest seafood and even raccoon and muskrat; have a very nice raw bar in the center and sell prepared seafood on the other side. They are known for their crab cakes.

Whether to try raw oysters is something that I can not recommend but can advise on. My father loved raw oysters and ate them for years without a problem, but did end up with a fairly aggressive bacterial infection once. I love attending the Bull and Oyster Roasts as well, but the last two made me rather ill as well. I figured out the problem is that they had volunteer shuckers and let a few bad ones go. Having been drinking, they slipped past me as well. Best to take a look and inquire about the shuckers. They should be fine if they are from the caterer and one should also observe that some are being tossed out. For this project, I had to purchase an oyster knife and learn shucking myself. Oysters should have a bit of fight and be hard to open. One sort of pries the shells apart, then cut the muscle holding the top and bottom parts of the shell. Basically they should look like snot, with a smooth-creamy consistency. Baltimore is blessed with the fruits from the bay. Joking aside, they have a creamy consistency and an amazingly refreshing, rich and unique taste that really can't be placed. Even here, many people slurp them down whole, but for the best flavor, I recommend a few chews.

While eating oysters is a pastime, there is an element of vocation as people find often bring their favorite additions for the oyster with them. Cooked, there are many ways to prepare them and they can be steamed (even in the microwave, fried and there are numerous stews, stuffings and fritter recipes. They can also be barbecued.

Along the Chesapeake Bay, the crabbers put up their gear and switch over to oyster season, which during winter can be very uncomfortable and grueling. Often they are dredged but you can also tong for them. One goes to an oyster bed and lowers a very long handled tong, weighing about forty pounds, lifts up a batch of oysters and shells. The oysters are separated out and packaged. What amazes me is just how individual these creatures are.

In High School, I was a member of the photo-crew for the photography class and art department. Just the one place in school that I fit in well. It was nice that other members of the class hung there and we really learned about the experiences and emotions that fit into photography. I was fascinated with what goes into developing one's artistic eye. Occasionally, the teacher took us on special trips. Shoots as well as occasional dining as a thanks and a way to keep in touch with former students. One such trip was Lexington Market and I was introduced to my first raw oyster. Unlike the demeaning presentation that most people seemed to deem a right of passage in Baltimore. The photography teacher simply wanted to share with us, one of the finer things he learned to enjoy in life; "If you hadn't tried these, you might not like them right off the bat, but they are worth the try. I understand they are an acquired taste and most likely you will be trying them again down the road." The first one was tough, it's just a taste that the mind can not place as well as a new texture to comprehend. The second on was easier, as was the third. Just having been in the New Mexican back-country for a month, Hot Pepper Sauce became a staple of survivability to the hard to get down, freeze dried and experimental food that we endured eating. A bum watched me put a squeeze of lemon and about a teaspoon of hot pepper sauce. He pointed to the oyster and literally pushed me out of the way. I was going to push him back, but to my astonishment, he imitated me and put more lemon and another teaspoon of hot sauce on it and slurped it right down. To me, I enjoyed the entertainment of his expression and the commotion as he looked like he had been maced. I think he stoled the drink off of the next table! Boy did the teacher give me hell for letting that oyster go! The teacher's words rang true and though it was about 15 years that I had them again, they are a pleasant regular craving that I like satisfying.

Lexington Market and Faidley Seafood have websites with information. Also used as a source is the book, "Chesapeake Bay Cooking," with John Shields.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mike K2 All rights reserved.
Mike K2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.