Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted November 2, 2009 Chapters:  ...5 6 -7- 8... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
reflective rondeau

A chapter in the book rondels and rondeaus

I'm Drawn by Tides

by adewpearl


I'm drawn by tides that beckon me
to ride their crest upon the sea,
where whales intone their ancient songs
and pods of dolphins dance along
to plaintive tunes in minor keys.

Deep waters yield deep mysteries
beneath the roguish, roiling seas,
and to those depths where none have gone,
I'm drawn by tides.

I've heard the blue whales' notes reprise
in melancholy harmonies,
so summoned by their sirens' song,
I know the sea's where I belong.
Beguiled to learn her mysteries,
I'm drawn by tides.




Recognized


The rondeau is a 15 line poem in three verses. The first verse is composed of five 8 syllable lines with a rhyme scheme of AABBA. The second verse is composed of three 8 syllable lines with rhyme scheme of AAB followed by a shorter refrain line composed of the first words of the first line of verse 1. The third verse is composed of five 8 syllable lines with a rhyme scheme of AABBA followed by the same shorter refrain line.
"reprise" rhymes with "sneeze," not "eyes." I mention this because months ago when I used this word, some reviewers did not realize this.
Blue whales, like humpback whales, are known for their songs, which sound a great deal like prolonged moans. If you have never heard them, google whale songs - many sites online allow you to listen to these most compelling, mournful songs.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. adewpearl All rights reserved.
adewpearl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.