General Poetry posted October 27, 2009 Chapters:  ...4 5 -6- 7... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Trying one may take a bit of courage.

A chapter in the book Dining Without, Tony

Soft Shelled Crab Sandwich

by Mike K2

Dad seemed to be in the seafood
store for a time that was too long.
As I suffered in a sun drenched car
hoping that he would soon come along.

He finally popped in, "This sandwich
is the greatest! Want a bite?"
I was stared at a whole crab between
two pieces of bread that gave me a fright.

Repulsed, as a whole crab reminds
one of swallowing a spider.
Whether the shell is soft of not,
I thought that my dad was wiser.

From time to time these opportunities
were somehow presented to me.
But somehow the notion of dining on
this delicacy always seemed to elude me.

It was after my dad passed, that I somehow
got up the courage to give it a try.
Once one gets over the idea and
bites in, it becomes a tasty surprise.

Lightly breaded and fried, with just a little
Mayo, lettuce,tomato, on bread to complete.
The legs are like crabby potato chips, mixed up
with the nice taste and softness of the crab's meat.

While the soft crab is a treat, as
opposed to an item of everyday fare.
It satisfies a craving or hankering
with a nice touch and flair!




Photograph copyright 2009 by Michael W. Kohlman. The funny thing about that trip with my father, was when I complained about being cooped up in a hot car for so long. He replied that at my age, it is expected that I had the common sense to roll down the window, open the door or join him inside. I actually did that, but wasn't sure that I should be doing that. When he showed me that sandwich for the first time, I wondered if he had any.

How to explain what a soft shelled crab actually is... To get crabs, the waterman put out crab pots and when the retrieve them, most are hard shelled and usually are sold for steaming. They can be steamed on site and sold as steamed crabs, or at a plant and picked for meat. The waterman know when the crabs are preparing to molt their shells and put them in a shallow tank and watch them. These crabs are known as, "Peelers," and once they shed their shell are carefully packaged for shipping. The Chesapeake bay accounts for 90% of the United States production. Since they are alive they are prepared differently then hard shelled crabs. The eyes and mouth is cut straight across, the stomach is pulled out, apron on the underside removed and the shell portion is lifted up and the gills cut away. From there they are usually battered and deep fried or pan fried in butter.

With the sandwich, less is more so that the delicate flavor is preserved. Simply put between bread with a LITTLE Mayonnaise and perhaps lettuce and tomato.

If you notice there is no recommendation for local places to purchase them. Most Baltimorians prefer the smaller sizes and most places that prepare them insist on offering the jumbo or whales. While a whale, may make for a nice photograph, they tend to have a bit of the cartilage remaining (tougher) and also not be completely cooked (even in the best of places). If you get raw crab, I guarantee you will not be able to get it down. The smaller size is just right. The legs become fascinatingly like potato chips, adding a bit of crunch to the lighter and more flavorful, meat of the body.

To me, while not on the water, it is facinating to watch the waterman hold the vigil for the peelers. The book, "Chesapeake Bay Cooking," by John Shields helped me with the notes of this poem.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mike K2 All rights reserved.
Mike K2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.