General Poetry posted October 8, 2009


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
A freestyle poem of literary passion.

English Oysters

by Mike K2

What happened to English oysters?
Shrunken, shuttering and cloistered...
Once they were brazen, bold and holding tyranny;
you fought hard, but it was our oysters that transformed the colonies.

Over time, the monarchy took a more ceremonial role,
other British governmental agencies has forged a new tyranny to extol.
Residing on a banned from England list is a group of terrorists that murder,
and one lone man whose crime is... thoughts and words.

He is fighting hard to right his wrongly applied plight,
and other hosts and media shied away from taking up his fight.
Acting as a scribe, the evidence is being published in a book;
25 times published with best sellers, the publishers won't take a look.

The prestigious Cambridge Union, a debating society invited a debate stating,
"This house Believes that Political Correctness Is Sane And Necessary."

If he was unable to attend, it would be held via a video link;
while many looked forward to that debate, Cambridge canceled
citing the costs and stressing legal ramifications, as their spirit
and those oysters obviously proceeded to shrink...

Even there the unpopular Winston Churchill was permitted to debate;
as Churchill's words about freedom of speech are now cherished and imbued.
Would he have in Brittan's world today, be invited and then uninvited
never permitting those words, from his lips to be issued?

Why is it important to pick up a solitary man's cause?
Because with modern day, "Politically Correct Thought;"
it may damn well result in your freedoms being lost.

Like Michael Savage my words and convictions have not been born
without a certain cost; as I have been chided, pushed away and spurned...
Financially destroyed, threatened with death and my house to be burned.

It is a matter with me of good over evil, as well right and wrong.
Yes! Pride too, better to be punished then mindlessly
manipulated and strung along.

~~~~ * ~~~~
Winston Churchill

"You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the
bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police.
They are afraid of words and thoughts!
Words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home, all the more
powerful because they are forbidden. These terrify them.
A little mouse - a little tiny mouse!
- of thought appears in the room, and even the
mightiest potentates are thrown into panic. ..."

~~~~ * ~~~~

Life without freedom to follow one's
convictions or the ability to decent;
makes for a mere existence is not worth
living and in that case, I choose death!
Those freedoms bestowed will be permanent.


Whether we call it oysters or having the balls;
I have to live with myself and conscience most of all.
What gems in a cloistered life can we sift;
if we are only there to mindlessly exist?

Hell, it was the Cambridge Union itself,
with their proposed and stated debate
which surely proved Savage's point!

Even though the debate didn't take place,
or the arguments permitted to be heard,
the Cambridge Union prove they feel,
"That Political Correctness Is Sane And Necessary."
As it was their actions that spoke louder...
then their reputation or their words.




This is not to be viewed as an anti-British piece, but one cautioning against the silencing of opposing political views and also using these types of situations as precedents. Now what am I talking about? Michael Savage is a popular talk show host of the Savage Nation. Personally, while I can identify with his stories and do share many of his views, I don't like his demeanor one damned bit. What irks me the most is he is very much like my father in saying the craziest things that actually come true.

My father worked for the state of Maryland in the Juvenile Services department, later to be renamed the Juvenile Justice department. He was very outspoken against what he perceived as that departments inadequacies. He felt that it was diverging from helping juvenile offenders and not protecting Baltimore's society form such. As a result, his career stagnated, he was continually punished and even banded from the courthouse. In that instance the remedy to the solution, not only violated his civil rights as a United States Citizen, it mimicked a standard remedy that the Soviet Union used for disaffected people. In another area, our household was harassed by the mayor at the time, and being mistaken for my father, I fielded a death threat from a chairman of the board for a governmental controlled, but public company. My father taught me to do my best in what is right and just and that God will somehow protect you in the end.

In my own life, I started my creative writing career because I was being both bullied and challenged. When I committed my words and thoughts to paper, there was a heavy price to pay including being harassed, with also a very big financial burden that will not be paid for another thirty years. In other instances my house and person was threatened. I did what I thought was necessary.

In Michael Savage's case, his main mantra is borders, language and culture. While he is conservative in view, he is staunchly independent in thought. His opinions lead to him being put on a list of people that are banned from traveling to Britain by that government. The only other people on that list are terrorists and murderers. There is also the thought that his being Jewish is another reason.

He initiated a lawsuit and kept his listeners informed of the progress throughout this time. The Cambridge Union invited him to debate, as they took up an opposing position. Everything was in the works until he was notified that the debate was canceled due to dubious financial, equipment and legal considerations. Many great writers, speakers and both US and British citizens spoke there.

Michael Savage also decided to publish a book about his plight and even though he is an established writer with best sellers, the publishers in New York declined to publish this particular one. There are many cross ties in this case. Michael Savage took it upon himself at his expense to do the publishing and printing. All one has to do is to type the, "Savage Nation" into their browser to view the various details (article links) and purchase the book. It is in the process of being printed at this time.

You would think that the news media would at least report this and that his fellow talk show hosts would make this a cause, but there is mainly silence on an issue as important as this one.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mike K2 All rights reserved.
Mike K2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.