General Poetry posted September 21, 2009 Chapters: 2 3 -4- 5... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
My favorite!

A chapter in the book Dining Without, Tony

Maryland Style Crab Soup

by Mike K2

"Maryland-Style Crab," is the soup that I favor;
loving all soups, but this one my soul does savor.
It's absolutely no use to give you the recipe;
everyone and everyplace has the best, you'll see.

It will warm your body and soul on a cold winter night;
all during the summer you will find it a refreshing bite.
It has the scent of our bay and an awaking spring-like feel, 
Autumn colored and like the dancing leaves, your pallet will reel.

A vegetable and beef based stock with a confetti of cabbage;
onions, corn, beans, potatoes, and tomatoes, as hunger is ravaged.
But the most important ingredient are the strands of crab meat;
with Old "Chesapeake" Bay seasoning, the soup becomes complete!

It can be a quick put together from cans and vegetables frozen;
or lovingly made from yesterdays crab feast, vegetables chosen.
In Baltimore, the places that sell this soup are all around;
addictive, creating cravings when we travel and none can be found.

How one soup can be fulfilling and comforting at one time;
and at another, becoming simply a light and refreshing clime...
 Is beyond me!
 Try some, as I wonder if you too will see.

If Maryland-style crab soup is an option for your plate;
give it a try as I feel that you too, will find it great!




Photograph is copyright September 2009 by Micheal W. Kohlman.

The soup pictured is a made from scratch version, using ingredients from Conrad's Crabs and George's Farm Market. Both places are in Parkville. The recipe used is variation of the, "Crab Soup At Cross Market," which is in the cook book, "Chesapeake Bay Cooking," by John Shields. A must have for people that enjoy seafood/game cooking, or are interested in county sides and deserts. There is also a lot of background stories and history included as well. For me it has been a treasure trove.

Soups are funny to me, I have cooked at least 25 and tried over a 100 different kinds and they all are good. But in my honesty check of this soup, it is my absolute favorite. Around here it is common place and everyone and establishment have their own and I have found the all delightful. Recipes to start with are available on-line and if one is willing to bear the expense, so are the ingredients.

I start off with making a soup base of beef bone and ham hock and while that boils, I wash off the seasoning off of the crab legs and claws that didn't get eaten, as well the picked over crab parts that hold the meat, taking as much meat out of them that I can. That all then gets thrown into the pot. While that simmers, I prepare the rest of the ingredients which are vegatables and stew my own tomatoes. That is onions, celery, corn, green beans, lima beans, carrots. After a couple of hours, I strain the soup and add about two thirds of the vegatables and lima beans. I pick though this for the ham hock and about a cup more of crab meat. The other third of the vegatables go in at their proper cooking time as does the potatoes and at the last minute, all that crab meat gets plopped in as well. It is the mixture of vegatable to make the stock and add to the consistancy that works for me. Still, those canned and frozen put togethers are very nice as well. With the soup, it is the claw meat of the crab that is perferred.

Very often the soup is made from smaller crabs as well the females that aren't as preferred for crab feats. Since picking them is a little harder, I recomend using one of their claw halves.

There are countless variations, some add beer and other add different vegtables such as zucinni squash. All I can say is try and enjoy! Out of the food that I prepare and offer, this has the most requests.

In Baltimore, many establishments carry a form of crab soup, all year around and it is reasonably priced. More expensive then other soups, but not to the extent that it breaks the bank. With shrimp too, I recommend saving the shells to add to the broth.



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mike K2 All rights reserved.
Mike K2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.