General Poetry posted September 18, 2009 Chapters:  ...5 6 -7- 8... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
descriptive rictameter

A chapter in the book The Rictameter

Along a Cold, Swift Stream

by adewpearl



Along
a cold, swift stream,
tall birches, white boughs bent,
twist sinuous in warped ascent,
not statuesque as stately redwoods rise,
but undulating toward the skies,
as by the water's edge
I wend my way
along.




Recognized


The rictameter consists of 9 lines with a syllable count of 2/4/6/8/10/8/6/4/2. The first and last words must be the same two syllable word.

For four years while attending college I lived in Northampton and Amherst, Massachusetts where white birches and cold streams abound. Robert Frost spent part of his life in Amherst, and was enchanted enough by these trees to write one of his most famous poems, "Birches." My husband was a photographer and spent much of his free time photographing the natural beauty of Western Massachusetts, particularly the birches. This poem is my nod to a most famous poet and a not-so-famous photographer who both shared my love for the beauty that abounds in this part of New England.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. adewpearl All rights reserved.
adewpearl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.