Biographical Poetry posted September 18, 2009 Chapters:  ...27 27 -28- 29... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
One incredible food experience!

A chapter in the book Dining Without, Tony

Haussner's Restaurant

by Mike K2



Dad's taking us to a restaurant that
he went to when he was very young!
Also stating that this German
restaurant can never be outdone.

It must be good because there is
going to be a bit of a long wait.
With huge rooms and many tables;
sitting in the museum, How Great!

With a menu that was like a book,
 I ordered the, "Pheasant Under Glass."
Dad choked and said, "You broke the bank
by exceeding the upper limits of our class."

Since I was so well behaved, the manager took me
on an art tour, showing me the most amazing thing.
Their most prized art exhibit that they owned
was also, " The world's largest ball of string!"

We walked around and she told me so many
details about all of their cherished artwork.
Pointing out facets that she believed would be
interesting to me; a duty that she didn't shirk.

I excitedly pointed to a Chinese vase saying,
"My Mom owns a few of these! That's really neat!"
The lady chuckled and told me that's a real MingVase
and let me touch it muttering under her breath...
"I hope you're steady on your feet."

The next time that we went, I ordered, "Hasenpfeffer,"
telling my sister that would have been her Easter rabbit;
which made her cry and my parents exclaim to me
they didn't find that funny, "Not one little bit!"

Upon walking out I found men drinking like the
Pheasants behind the glass and it said, "Stag Bar."
I asked my father what that meant and he said,
"That's so men can find a little peace without...
Having to travel very far."

The menu had German, seafood, and fine dining
based  at a reasonable price and an atmosphere
that has haunted me, as if it was like a ghost. 
I always intended to go back as an adult;
when they closed their doors and sold the
art collection, that has pained me the most.




The photograph is copyright by Bill McAllen photography and used with limited permission, granted through Charm City Publishing.com. Bill McAllen is a commercial photographer in the Baltimore area and maintains his own website, under the same name.

When I wrote this poem, I was looking forward to pointing to Wikipedia articles on both the restaurant and the art collection, but regrettably they have been removed. Hausner's was the best dining experience that I ever had and that has been reinforced with the numerous searches that I had to perform. Even today, on personal blogs people relate their childhood experiences and inquire if they are still in operation. Sadly in 1999 they closed their doors and the property which includes 23,000 feet of floor space is up for sale. That architecture has a Germanic influence and was built in 1935.

It had a special place in my Father's heart as it is located on Eastern Avenue in Baltimore in the Highlandtown portion of Baltimore City. My dad spent part of his childhood growing up on Decker Avenue. From there they moved out of that neighbored to Dudley Avenue off of Belair Road, and finally residing further up it on Woodlie Avenue. From there he married my mother and they rested in Parkville.

It was the total experience that was golden to my father and rested within me as well. I suspect that the lady manager of the restaurant was related to the Hausner's as she had an incredible knowledge of the museum's worth of art and sculptures and perhaps, put the spark in me when it came to artistic endeavors which I am gratefully able to produce for you here.

The long lines were commonplace and perhaps influenced people to dine there a bit less. Bill McAllen, also has photographs of the lines where one stood, until ushered into the basement to eventually find a seat at the table. The menu is extraordinary and had a complete German fare as well, Baltimore's famed seafood and though more expensive, items such as Pheasant Under Glass. They weren't so expensive that it wasn't necessarily unfordable. Even today, that menu is compared more to a book and is sought by collectors.

With the stag bar being of interest to me, Dad took me in and I was immediately ordered out, but my Father said that I hadn't planned to drink and with a very dramatic and emotional presentation about how this stag culture had to be nurtured for my future self (complete with a humorous presentation of a stag bars importance) we remained at everyone's enjoyment and I think that I shook the hand of every man that was in there. Sure beats the bars of today, with their commotion!


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mike K2 All rights reserved.
Mike K2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.