General Non-Fiction posted September 10, 2009 Chapters: -Prologue- 1... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Generally I don't have the time for reservations.

A chapter in the book Dining Without, Tony

Dining Without, Tony!

by Mike K2

So who's Tony? Anthony Bourdain of course! The food, drink and attitude personality of the Travel Channel show, "No Reservations." To be honest, I love watching it and there are so many episodes that are not only informative, but humorous. He does comment on various foods from the United States fair cities to countries all over the world.

He also dines with various personalities, from notable to notorious. When Tony finds a food item fascinating, there is no stopping his enthusiasm, such as the Oriental noodle makers ply their craft of hand pulling noodles, to Pressed Duck and beyond with various experimental treatments; also fine dining with a fine beverage, even if it is of local choice.

In short, he gives you an honest and candid view of not only the food, but the area. There can also be humor to be had, at time unwittingly at Anthony's expense with scenes such as; him complaining about the shrinkage that occurs when getting stuck in cold mud harvesting cockles, rolling an ATV over himself or the gut churning prospect that as a guest of a tribal family in the jungles of Malaysia, it is his honor to kill the pig they plan to roast. In short he is honest.

However, Anthony Bourdain is also moody and temperamental and at times that shows, especially if something was someone else's idea. I always hoped that he would come to Baltimore to do a show, highlighting our food. Well he did and it literally dropped my jaw and disappointed me.

The episode when he came to Baltimore was called the, "Rust Belt," and we were lumped in with two other cities, Detroit and Buffalo. I felt that the Baltimore portion was the worst presented out of the three. While he did include the Domino Sugar Factory, their pan stopped short of our Inner Harbor, choosing instead to go into the ghetto areas. Regretfully, we do have too many.

He brought with him his Eastern Bloc friend, Zimir. I ended up feeling that the Baltimore portion was nothing more than a promotional piece for, "The Wire;" highlighting our crime problem more than our food. He mentioned that he worked here in the food industry for two years and it seemingly rubbed off on his psyche too negatively. One of his stops was a pit beef stand on our reputed, "Block," and while he covered seafood such as crab cakes, it really didn't strike me in a place that represented on of our seafood houses. He also covered soul food.

Needless to say, since being disappointed, I responded with several threads to the message board, linking the first poem, "Baltimore's Delights." I also criticized aspects of that episode and even posted, "...There are many such places as well as food history, such as Lexington market. With this episode, in reference to Baltimore, there seemed to be a promotional nature and theme about the wire. Yes, it can be like this, but there is so much underlying soul that didn't seem to be portrayed. I wonder if he would dare walk around with a poetic writer?" Meaning me!

I wondered if I struck a chord as with the next couple of episodes, he included poets in the scenes. In San Francisco, he went to a place with a poet that wrote a poem about the restaurant they were eating at. In the Montana episode, he was shown around and dined with Jim Harrison; a writer and POET.

I sort of took it as an implied message that Anthony Bourdain isn't going to be coming back to Baltimore, especially with me. But in the spirit of celebrating good food, I said the hell with it and decided to produce, "Dining Without, Tony."

The first part is about various creations and dishes that I have had or have found comfort in. Of course crabs will be at the front of the line as will, other seafood that Baltimore enjoys; many ethnic creations that I either enjoyed as a child or mastered to cook myself. The second part of the poetry is of the many restaurants that I have dined at, either with the taste or atmosphere.

Due to money, I don't dine out much so many will be history related and regrettably some of them have changed out their food with either cooks or new owners. You have my assurance that any change such as that will be noted with the author's notes. If the place still has the delicacies that I love and has maintained the quality and atmosphere, that too, will be noted and they will be recommended highly.

You may notice skipped chapters, that is to allow for additions and separate the various sections; however, I do expect to complete this by the end of the year as time and money permit. If I write about a restaurant, it is strictly because I decide to do so and you get my honest opinion.

Enjoy!





Photograph Copyright 2009 - Micahel W. Kohlman

The photograph was taken at the Linway Lounge located at 7714 Harford Rd Parkville. It is opposite the Parkville Shopping Center. It is known for it's Shrimp Salad, that they have made for decades and will be highlighted in other poems.

I decided not to use this to get free food, just the mention of a sample produces cringes and attitude from the establishments, but you will get an honest opinion and evaluation. Really the only thing I have asked for is usually with help with the photography aspects, such as trying to get a live crab to photograph with the steamed one's or in the past, to photograph the interior or food. Those that help, will always get a good mention, those that don't, you won't know about.

With Baltimore Food, the one thing that does bristle me is when I go to a place repeatedly for a specific item, then they take it off the menu. When I inquire, I get a somewhat sarcastic attitude. With one restaurant, it was their Wiener Schnitzel and I was told the reason that it was removed is, "Only a couple of old people and someone likes you knows about it." I kept coming as I liked one of their specials and then they changed the hours that specials are offered to a time when I can't enjoy them. Clam Strips that I fell in love with at another place. Very often, the economy is cited for not only this, but having also for having their hours altered, at a whim sometimes. I go back quite a bit later and they are then complaining that they aren't getting the business they used to, more critical in a poor economy. Unfortunately, a restaurant is a service business and when you alter what brought people in and the convenience, you then loose client??le.

Changes are enevitable, such as a cook leaving, but thoughts of saving money have shut down many a restuarant. A lesson for the living.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mike K2 All rights reserved.
Mike K2 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.