Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted September 5, 2009


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
a reflective nonet

Labor of Love

by adewpearl


Callused and rough, toughened by long days
spent sweltering at steady toil,
these were the hands of a man
who labored hard and much,
so he could come home
and offer us
tenderness
in his
touch.




Recognized


Labor Day is so much more than the last day the pool is open and the last hurrah for summer. My father was a steamfitter, and one of my most lasting memories of him is those rough, callused hands. When he came home from work, there was always dirt under his fingernails, but he took a hot bath before we ate dinner to wash off the grime of the work site. He couldn't wash away the calluses, though. But when he picked me up or held my hand in his, all I felt was love and safety and the dedication of a strong man who supported his family and came home to us each night, filled with smiles and tenderness.

A nonet is a nine line poem that has nine syllables in the first line, then eight, then seven, all the way down to a final line of one syllable.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. adewpearl All rights reserved.
adewpearl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.