Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted September 3, 2009 Chapters:  ...11 12 -13- 14... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
a reflective cinquain - see author's notes

A chapter in the book cinquains

Frederick Douglass, Freedom's Lion

by adewpearl



The day
he hopped aboard
that train on northbound track
he carried freedom's sword and ne'er
looked back





Recognized


A cinquain is a five line poem with syllable count of 2/4/6/8/2. The title is considered a significant sixth line.

Twenty year old Frederick Douglass, a slave in Maryland, had made escape attempts before, but on September 3, 1838, he finally succeeded when he boarded a train North while disguised as a free black seaman. In the years leading to the Civil War, he became one of the most eloquent and well-known voices for abolition, writing books about his experience as a slave and delivering hundreds of speeches that stirred others to freedom's cause. He became known as the lion of the abolition movement and also championed causes such as Women's Suffrage and Irish Home Rule. After the War he continued to fight for the rights of African Americans and all oppressed peoples. If the pen and the spoken word are indeed, mightier than the sword, he was carrying the sword of freedom with him that fateful day when he made his way beyond the boundaries of slavery.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. adewpearl All rights reserved.
adewpearl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.