General Poetry posted August 23, 2009 Chapters:  ...13 14 -15- 16... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
a whimsical cinquain - see author notes

A chapter in the book cinquains

When Knowing Spoils Illusion

by adewpearl


Who knows
why whales compose
their songs that swell the sea?
Some things, methinks, are best left
mystery.




Recognized


Most five line cinquains follow the syllable pattern of 2/4/6/8/2, but among the 28 extant cinquains of Adelaide Crapsey, the 19th Century originator of the form, there are several that deviate slightly from that pattern, most often following the modified pattern of 2/4/6/7/3. This poem follows that pattern.

methink is an archaic word that means - it seems to me.
I have chosen to use it here for two reasons: first, the internal rhyme with things, and second, the lighthearted feel it adds to a whimsical poem.

In researching whale songs, I found that while scientists have studied the reasons for their occurrence, nobody has a definitive answer. Speculations range from mating ritual to navigation device to a kind of sonar to find other whales. Some even wonder if it is a purely aesthetic song.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. adewpearl All rights reserved.
adewpearl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.