Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted August 7, 2009


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
a reflective nonet

The Lull before the Storm

by adewpearl



In the days Hiroshima rattled
with the rasps of those not yet dead
did Nagasaki's mothers
when tucking babes in bed
feel a sense of dread
that any day
their children
could be
next?





Recognized


A nonet is a nine line poem with syllables of 9/8/7/6/5/4/3/2/1.

I do not intend this as a piece about whether or not the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were justified. There are those who argue that without them the war would have dragged on and resulted in even more deaths. That debate is not at issue here.

Everyone, I believe, can agree that for the 140,000 people, most civilians, who died in Hiroshima on August 6, 1945 and the months that followed, and for the 80,000 who died in Nagasaki on August 9 and the months following, these were horrific times for the dead, the dying and the survivors.
Of the half who died immediately, some evaporated, some were charred beyond recognition, and some had their eyeballs and internal organs explode from their bodies. Shattered glass impaled the dead and dying. Some of the dying watched their skin melt off, and radiation sickness ate away at those not in the blast's epicenter.

No mother cares about politics or history or the greater good when this surrounds her children. The people of Nagasaki had no way of knowing they would be the next target. Had there not been cloud cover over the city of Kokura on August 9, the bomb would have been discharged there and spared them. A last minute break in the clouds over their city doomed them, including an unknown number of refugees from Hiroshima who had made their way in the past couple of days to Nagasaki to find shelter there.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. adewpearl All rights reserved.
adewpearl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.