Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted July 29, 2009


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
contemplative cinquain (see author's note)

A Refugee's Sojourn

by adewpearl



I climb
the tallest tree
where refuge can be found,
but gravity still pulls me
to the ground.





Recognized


A cinquain is a five line poem with syllable count of 2/4/6/8/2 with the title as a significant sixth line. Traditionally there is a downward turn in either the fourth or final line.
As I did once before in a posted cinquain, I have placed three syllables in the final line and seven in the penultimate line - Adelaide Crapsey, the inventor of this form of poetry over a hundred years ago, did the same thing in several of her 28 cinquains. She never actually said the form had to be strictly 2/4/6/8/2, and the fact that she deviated from this more than once says to me that there is no need for us to in order to maintain the integrity of her form.

Consider the multiple meanings of "gravity" when reading.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by VMarguarite at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. adewpearl All rights reserved.
adewpearl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.