Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted July 25, 2009


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
reflective cinquain

The Soapbox Derby

by adewpearl



Each car
a child's dream
in streamlined silhouette
may soon be sidelined from the race
by debt.





Recognized


The cinquain is a five line poem in 2/4/6/8/2 syllable form.
The title is considered a significant sixth line, and there is usually a downward turn in either the fourth or final line.
I am using the two syllable pronunciation of child as found in dictionary.com chahyld

This year's 75th running of the Soap Box Derby at Derby Downs in Akron, Ohio, which features the winners of local races from around the country, will be run on Saturday, July 25. This threatens to be the last race or at least one of the final years of the race if the organization doesn't find a national corporate sponsor soon. Once sponsored by General Motors and most recently Levi Strauss, there has been no national sponsor for two years. Scholarship money has been slashed in half. There is no longer a live broadcast. Jimmy Stewart once cancelled his weekend appearance in Harvey on Broadway to attend; now no celebrities show up because their appearance fees are too high. There will be no awards banquet this year, just trophies on the field. Nobody has pulled the plug yet, but hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt loom. In a world where we decry all the hours children spend indoors, in isolation, with their video games, this staple of outdoor sports may well become the next victim.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by VMarguarite at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. adewpearl All rights reserved.
adewpearl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.