Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted July 21, 2009


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
a nonet on the 110th anniversary of his birth

For Ernest Hemingway

by adewpearl


From Abercrombie and Fitch he bought
only the best in big game guns --
its barrels of burnished steel
gleamed in Idaho's sun.
Such expense to spend
to bring his life
and its words
to an
end.





Recognized


July 21 is the 110th anniversary of the birth of Ernest Hemingway. Shortly before his sixty-second birthday he ordered a Boss and Company, finely crafted English shotgun from Abercrombie and Fitch, then a top-end sporting goods store. With this gun he blew his brains out in his Idaho home. He suffered from mental illness and alcoholism.

Hemingway, awarded the Pulitzer Prize and the Nobel Prize for Literature, has been acknowledged as a major influence by authors as varied as J.D. Salinger, Hunter Thompson, Jack Kerouac, and Elmore Leonard. I simply remember being a little girl who was swept away by his mesmerizing words in the Old Man and the Sea. I read and studied many more of his works in college and grad school, but nothing will compare to my time in that fishing boat when I was twelve years old.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. adewpearl All rights reserved.
adewpearl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.