Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted July 3, 2009


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
a reflective Fourth of July septolet

Some Will Miss the Parades

by adewpearl



storms whip sand
in watchful
sentry's eye


duty
as usual
this
Fourth of July





Recognized


My friend, Cory, a poet on this site, is stationed as an officer in Iraq, and I asked him what the Fourth will be like for him this year. He told me that on some larger bases there will be a special meal and celebrations, but for smaller bases like his, it is pretty much duty as usual.
He also told me they were currently experiencing sand storms. Cory has a lovely wife and two little daughters waiting for him at home. Most of our troops have people who love them waiting for them and praying for their safety.
This poem is for all of them, the families concerned for their sons and daughters who are serving so far away and the troops who won't enjoy a barbecue and fireworks this Fourth of July. I hope we all take time out from our fun to remember them.
The septolet is a fourteen word/ seven line poem divided into two verses, where the second verse completes the picture of the first by providing some perspective.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. adewpearl All rights reserved.
adewpearl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.