Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted June 23, 2009


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
17 syllable form

(eighteen hard-boiled eggs) cinqku

by adewpearl



eighteen
hard-boiled eggs
twenty crave them
in the line -- two will be
denied





Recognized


The cinqku is a form invented about ten years ago by Denis Garrison. It is meant to assimilate the haiku/tanka form of Japanese poetry into the English poetic tradition. It consists of 17 syllables in 5 lines with a syllable count of 2/3/4/6/2.
This poem was inspired by the fact that each Tuesday I take hard-boiled eggs with me to the shelter where I serve breakfast, but the number depends on how many I get from the ladies at church who provide them. This week I only had two boxes of 18 each. When we were down to the last box, there were more people who wanted an egg than I had eggs to distribute, something that sadly happens far too often with many of our supplies. We also had no packets of instant grits today, which caused much disappointment.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. adewpearl All rights reserved.
adewpearl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.