Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted June 14, 2009


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
reflective double tetractys poem

Flag Day

by adewpearl



Flags
waved in
zealotry
may share the cloth
and colors of the flags for which men died,
but those who fought for freedom's love would weep
should hate strip flags
of honor
and of
pride.





Recognized


I believe, on Flag Day, that there are two distinct ways in which flags are viewed and waved. Some wave them in intolerance and feelings of superiority, out of hate for others and a misplaced belief that only one's own country is a worthy place.
The illustration I've chosen is the memorial at Utah Beach, where thousands of good men sacrificed during the D Day invasion so others could be free. These men did not die for hate or jingoism - news of their invasion sparked hope in millions. Anne Frank and her sister, upon hearing of the invasion while they were still in hiding, began plans to return to school that September as they sensed this was the beginning of the turning point of a war which threatened their very lives. The flags that fly at this memorial, like the flags the soldiers and sailors carried that fateful day, stand for all that is best in humankind. This is the flag I wave, with unabashed pride, on Flag Day.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. adewpearl All rights reserved.
adewpearl has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.